REVIEW When you're looking for a restaurant in Potrero Hill, Live Sushi Bar is the proverbial needle in the haystack. But with a good location, great service, and fresh food at reasonable prices, it's worth finding.
First of all, our server figured out I was a vegetarian when I ordered the Green Combo, and he replaced the beef-based miso soup that accompanies the combo with edamame before I had to ask. He also helped my sushi-novice companion choose a combination of rolls she'd be comfortable with.
As for the food, the vegetable tempura was nothing to sneeze at, but the sushi is really where this place shines. The highlights of my meal were the veggie swamp rolls, cucumber and avocado topped with a delicious seaweed salad that made them look like edible Fraggles curled up on my plate. My friend ordered the Roll Combo and was pleasantly surprised by the all-veggie cucumber rolls, a nice balance to the fishy tuna and crab rolls that constituted the rest of her order. The combos are certainly the best way to go: for the price of one order of rolls, you can get three different rolls, as well as miso (or edamame) and salad. Plus, everything arrives so beautifully arranged, you'll almost feel guilty ruining the edible works of art with your chopsticks.
And an extra bonus? The women's bathroom, which not only smells like a tropical paradise but also has a miniature village inside: ducks rowing a boat, a bridge, and little buildings all arranged in an alcove. Stuffing yourself and a friend on great sushi for $30 and then visiting a tiny fantasyland who wouldn't love that?
LIVE SUSHI BAR Daily, 11 a.m.3 p.m. and 5 p.m.late. 2001 17th St., SF. (415) 861-8610
Most Commented On
- why is this MY - May 18, 2013
- Tell the Yakuza. - May 18, 2013
- Cutting off the nose to spite the face - May 18, 2013
- I'm guessing that you have never read 1984 - May 18, 2013
- Such a load of crap - May 18, 2013
- The whole west side is single family homes - May 18, 2013
- I know you guys - May 18, 2013
- Correction: hate=love - May 18, 2013
- So it's ok for trim, athletic - May 18, 2013
- A comment up above reminds me - May 18, 2013