One way to make up for the nature shows you watched without subscribing is to join our local PBS affiliate's wine club.
Be a tourist in your hometown
You can kill two birds with one stone by doing your Christmas shopping while showing your relatives around town. Tourist areas always have lots of places open on holidays.
Chinatown is your one-stop shop for everything, especially for those most quintessential of Christmas gifts: robes and slippers. And many shops there will be open until as late as 10 p.m. on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, just as they always are. On Pier 39, where Moms and Dads can't resist going, no matter how much of a trap it is, there are a few shops that sell something more than shot glasses with the Golden Gate Bridge painted on them.
You'll find three full floors of those good-luck cats with raised paws, Buddhas for your spiritually Eastern friends, kimonos and house slippers, and sake sets for your ample heavy-drinking associates at this classic Chinatown store.
616 Grant, SF. (415) 362-5750. Call for hours.
SAN FRANCISCO SOCK MARKET
Give the classic Scrooge gift of socks. The huge selection means you can cover the feet of everyone in your life with something they'll actually like.
Pier 39, bldg. G, level 1. (415) 392-7625. Open Christmas Eve, 106 p.m. Closed Christmas Day.
Lighten up, for Christ's (oops, I mean Pete's) sake:
Maybe you just need a few laughs to get into the spirit of things. Head to one of these comic shops, get lost in the escapist pleasures they offer, then grab some gifts for your friends.
Now that Al's has moved from his cramped Mission spot to roomier digs in the Castro, he's turned his store into a one-stop gift shop. In addition to comics in all genres, the store sells greeting cards and a few toys.
1803 Market, SF. (415) 861-1220, www.alscomicssf.com. Open Christmas Eve until 5 p.m. Closed Christmas Day.
From the huge selection of back issues and superhero figurines at this Sunset District shop, you should be able to find something that will bring a smile to the faces of many in a matter of minutes.
23812387 Ocean, SF. (415) 239-2669, www.comicoutpost.net. Open Christmas Eve, noon5 p.m. Closed Christmas Day.
Most Commented On
- The United Kingdom was no - March 10, 2014
- ADA requires coverage for disabled people - March 10, 2014
- What was Sofia Liu's choice? - March 10, 2014
- As a consumer, I am comfortable with the idea that I can get a - March 10, 2014
- Sounds like another example of the government externalizing the - March 10, 2014
- Professional Drivers Require Insurance - March 10, 2014
- Anyone driving professionally should have insurance but that - March 10, 2014
- Uber is bad for San Francisco - March 10, 2014
- If crime moves away that is almost as good as crime going away. - March 10, 2014
- Streetsblog views holding - March 10, 2014