The song is awesome enough, but the throwback video, complete with flying saucers and a keytar, is something to behold.
•<\!s><0x0007>50 Cent, "I Get Money," Curtis (Aftermath/Shady/Interscope)
He lost the sales battle with Kanye West, G Unit is fading fast, and Curtis is his worst LP to date. However, even his millions of haters have to admit: this song is a banger.
•<\!s><0x0007>Devin the Dude, live at South by Southwest, March 14
Mild-mannered but funny as hell, Devin has been putting it down for a long time now, winning fans with his mellow storytelling rhymes, low-key singing, and affinity for all weed and women. I saw him live three times this year, but this show in his home state was the best: he rolled with the Coughee Brothaz and injected some much-needed funk into the indie-centric convention.
•<\!s><0x0007>Third annual Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival
Unlike the more hyped-up "Rock the Bells," this festival got everything right. Free show, great location on the water in BK, and all-day performances from Ghostface, Sean P, Large Professor, El Michaels Affair, Dres from Black Sheep, and others. Throw in surprise appearances from Chubb Rock and Jeru, and you've got middle-aged rap fan heaven.
•<\!s><0x0007>Sonic Youth at the Berkeley Community Theatre, July 19
As part of the "Don't Look Back" concert series, in which artists perform a classic album in its entirety, Thurston Moore and the gang revisited their 1988 epic Daydream Nation (DGC) to the delight of a sold-out crowd. Next time I hope they do Bad Moon Rising.
•<\!s><0x0007>ZZ Top at Konocti Harbor, April 21
All I can say is "wow." Despite my driving several hours to and from Clear Lake and getting rained on the entire time, this was amazing. These dudes are mad old, but they put on a better show than most kids a fraction of their age.
KANDIA CRAZY HORSE'S TOP 10
(1) <0x0007>Rufus Wainwright, Release the Stars (Geffen)
(2) <0x0007>Tinariwen, Aman Iman (World Village)
(3) <0x0007>Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand (Rounder)
(4) <0x0007>Betty Davis, Betty Davis (Light in the Attic)
(5) <0x0007>Miles Davis, The Complete On the Corner Sessions (Sony Legacy)
(6) <0x0007>Donnie, The Daily News (SoulThought Entertainment)
(7) <0x0007>Gogol Bordello, Super Taranta! (Side One Dummy)
(8) <0x0007>Hanson, The Walk (Three Car Garage)
(9) <0x0007>Babyshambles, Shotter's Nation (Astralwerks)
(10) <0x0007>Beirut, The Flying Club Cup (Ba Da Bing)
VICE COOLER'S TOP GIGS
XBXRX, HAWNAY TROOF, KIT
•<\!s><0x0007>Playing to a confused crowd in Beijing, China, then riding on the back of a motorcycle cab. The next day I was eating at a vegan buffet in a mall where you paid not by what you ate but by how quickly you finished.
•<\!s><0x0007>In the Netherlands, I performed to 550,000 people on drugs who think that camping out in sewage is "awesome." Lots of moms and dads with huge glazed eyes, hula-hooping and juggling glow sticks at 4 a.m.
•<\!s><0x0007>XBXRX having to sleep at a (dirty and unkempt) brothel. There were bloodstains and tire treads (?) on my pillow. *
For more lists, go to www.sfbg.com/blogs/music.
Most Commented On
- Leslie Dreyer does not live - December 9, 2013
- Oh, so only people living in - December 9, 2013
- Think about it, those - December 9, 2013
- "I don't know any tech workers... - December 9, 2013
- Steven has been in full backpeddling mode all day long. - December 9, 2013
- The outfit is a dead giveaway - December 9, 2013
- Steven and friends - Enjoy your sh*tcakes! - December 9, 2013
- If only there were a word for this.. - December 9, 2013
- Erin modeled herself after Sir Robin: - December 9, 2013
- Appalled - December 9, 2013