Also, I couldn't think of a whole lot of movies this year that didn't bug me at least part of the time, so here is a highly unsatisfying, subjective-like-you-know-your-momma-is (and yet still surprisingly safe) list of what would be the best films of 2007 if I were allowed to have a go at them with my Windows Movie Maker.
1. No Country for Old Men (Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, US) Minus Javier Bardem's weirdly praised performance of the same old "enigmatic," blaringly quiet psychopath, and the mariachi band, and the unhelpful car thing at the end.
2. Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Ridley Scott, US) Minus the tonally jarring bits of the score.
3. 12:08 East of Bucharest (Corneliu Porumboiu, Romania) Minus the reminder of its elusive transatlantic travel buddy, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, still unseen and waiting to be loved.
4. Away from Her (Sarah Polley, Canada) Minus the roles of Marian and the ultrainformative staffer, the lame "clusterfuck" joke, and Gordon Pinsent's sweater.
5. Superbad (Greg Mottola, US) Minus the stuff that wasn't as funny as the really funny stuff.
6. 28 Weeks Later (Joan Carlos Fresnadillo, UK/Spain) Minus Planet Terror's having already killed off zombies this year with a helicopter blade, diminishing with its curatorial kitsch a set piece that was shocking and beautiful.
7. Zodiac (David Fincher, US) Minus Chloë Sevigny's reprisal of every 2-D role in Hollywood calling for a disapproving, killjoy wife.
8. I'm Not There (Todd Haynes, US) Minus the Heath LedgerCharlotte Gainsbourg Blood on the Tracks strand (see Chloë Sevigny above), the performance of Marcus Carl Franklin, and the vague, uneasy feeling that the movie didn't really need to be made.
9. Red Road (Andrea Arnold, Australia) Minus the closure.
10. Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, US) Minus nothing.
• The Simpsons Movie (David Silverman, US) Minus everyone's requirement that it be as brilliant as the show once was.
• Once (John Carney, Ireland) Minus the shitty music.
• A Mighty Heart (Michael Winterbottom, US/UK) Minus the uncomfortable politics of making such a movie.
Most Commented On
- You hate San Franciscans and - July 25, 2014
- The problem, Emma, is that you are quick to put out - July 25, 2014
- So you are denying ever making stereotypes about whites? - July 25, 2014
- The soccer fields are about 0.001% of GGPark - July 25, 2014
- I would vote AGAINST putting - July 25, 2014
- People who live in San - July 25, 2014
- What could be healthier than - July 25, 2014
- xXUEHmNCxJ - July 25, 2014
- Motion capture - July 25, 2014
- REjFcnpKIuXcLVMWu - July 25, 2014