Certainly, the inspiration for Fantasma (a still-ahead-of-its-time collection that was rejected as too fractured and manic by some US rock critics who had no problem kissing Beck's feet) can be found in Veloso's recently reissued 1972 album Araçá Azul (Lilith), an album that returned for refunds by a multitude of confounded consumers was similarly radical in its application of collage aesthetics to symphonics.
"About two years ago I went to go see [Veloso's] show around the time Takako [Minekawa] did a remix of his son Moreno's band [Moreno+2]," Oyamada explains when asked about the photo. "He performed music that ranged from standard bossa nova to avant-garde compositions, and covered DNA and Nirvana. It's in my top three of the best shows I've ever seen in my life."
Some people rank Cornelius shows high on their lists, thanks to Oyamada's gift for spectacle. As for Sensuous, its highlights especially the gliding flight of "Omstart," a collaboration with Erland Øye have a prismatic quality that no colored pencil or paintbrush, even the 70-some varieties at Kinokuniya, can approximate.
Fri/18, 8 p.m., $25
1805 Fillmore, SF
Most Commented On
- oojppcpg - April 23, 2014
- Dr Lumba Brought Back My Lover - April 23, 2014
- It's true - SFBG prefer purity and achieving nothing to - April 23, 2014
- Still goes to poor political judgement and instincts - April 23, 2014
- Only two of the eleven Supes are hardline lefties - April 23, 2014
- With due respect all thank - April 23, 2014
- A GREAT MAN THAT HELP ME - April 23, 2014
- HOW MY EX CAME BACK TO ME - April 23, 2014
- Where was the "hippie" in her - April 22, 2014
- This has to be one of the dumbest comments I've heard today - April 22, 2014