Certainly, the inspiration for Fantasma (a still-ahead-of-its-time collection that was rejected as too fractured and manic by some US rock critics who had no problem kissing Beck's feet) can be found in Veloso's recently reissued 1972 album Araçá Azul (Lilith), an album that returned for refunds by a multitude of confounded consumers was similarly radical in its application of collage aesthetics to symphonics.
"About two years ago I went to go see [Veloso's] show around the time Takako [Minekawa] did a remix of his son Moreno's band [Moreno+2]," Oyamada explains when asked about the photo. "He performed music that ranged from standard bossa nova to avant-garde compositions, and covered DNA and Nirvana. It's in my top three of the best shows I've ever seen in my life."
Some people rank Cornelius shows high on their lists, thanks to Oyamada's gift for spectacle. As for Sensuous, its highlights especially the gliding flight of "Omstart," a collaboration with Erland Øye have a prismatic quality that no colored pencil or paintbrush, even the 70-some varieties at Kinokuniya, can approximate.
Fri/18, 8 p.m., $25
1805 Fillmore, SF
Most Commented On
- Exactly. It must have a - April 16, 2014
- The Best Spell caster... Thanks to Prophet Ibu - April 16, 2014
- EsqGxhaSFO - April 16, 2014
- uSDPPdssFIKHP - April 16, 2014
- Stop puffing the ganja and - April 15, 2014
- Subsidized bus riders - April 15, 2014
- The name is Benito - April 15, 2014
- how i got my soulmate back - April 15, 2014
- I HATE DAVID CAMPOS!!!!!!!!!! - April 15, 2014
- baba maliga is a real spell caster - April 15, 2014