Measures A and B (Children's Hospital bond)
The history of this pair of ballot measures speaks to the reasons to oppose them: Children's Hospital, a private outfit, hired signature gatherers and put Measure B a special tax to fund a $300 million bond to help rebuild the hospital, which needs a seismic upgrade on the ballot without even consulting the county supervisors. The supervisors then came back with a compromise plan, Measure A, which Children's is now supporting but none of the supervisors have endorsed.
We're not big on using public bonds and tax money to rebuild a private hospital (especially when the county's public health system has so many needs of its own). And none of this was very well thought out. Vote no; if there's a good reason to rebuild Children's Hospital, there needs to be a much better public process to fund it.
Measure E (Albany pool bonds)
Measure E would authorize $10 million in bonds to rebuild the public pool at Albany High School. It also includes money for new classrooms. The Alameda Green Party thinks the pool should have solar heat and use alternatives to chlorine, and we agree but that's not reason enough to block a modest measure to improve a widely used facility. Vote yes.
Measure G (Oakland school tax)
This is a parcel tax that would charge property owners in Oakland $195 per year, with the money going to the public schools. Yes, the Oakland schools are still controlled by a state administrator, who can ultimately decide where the money will go, and yes, parcel taxes aren't perfect, but with school funding in the state as dire as it is, we support almost any sort of tax that helps education. And while parcel taxes allow big commercial landlords to pay the same rate as small homeowners, there is a low-income-resident exemption. Vote yes. 2
For national, state, and San Francisco endorsements, click here.
Most Commented On
- And joysticks for all - July 27, 2014
- Marcos' Judaism is relevant only when it comes to - July 27, 2014
- hqQqnukbsN - July 27, 2014
- mvajoCbAui - July 27, 2014
- GJCvazIKygzr - July 27, 2014
- Extra! Extra! Sunshine advocates beat the Anti-Sunshine Gang in - July 27, 2014
- how i got cure for hiv - July 27, 2014
- One Lorde to rule them all: An evening at the Fox with one - July 27, 2014
- I thought you left - July 27, 2014
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 27, 2014