But before they use biodiesel for the first time, diesel tanks must be cleaned out, which the Fire Department found costs $2,000 to $3,000 per tank.
SFGreasecycle also complements the city's Climate Action Plan, which aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 20 percent below 1990 levels by 2012. "The goal is not just to make San Francisco sustainable," Ving told us, "but to develop a program that can be implemented by other municipalities."
Comments, ideas, and submissions for Green City, the Guardian's weekly environmental column, can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most Commented On
- Small Business Awards 2013: La Victoria Bakery - July 31, 2014
- But work orders are legitimate - July 31, 2014
- Nowhere in there do I see specific examples of new SF - July 31, 2014
- Projections - July 31, 2014
- Lil B's career trajectory is reminiscent of S.mouse - July 31, 2014
- DRomGYCrHe - July 31, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 31, 2014
- Police radio dispatch from Alejandro Nieto shooting raises new - July 31, 2014
- Oh please. Go carebear - July 31, 2014
- I supported Mirkarimi keeping his job - July 31, 2014