PREVIEW In February, as the days start getting longer again, two things come to mind: Black History Month summons deep reflections, and all of that extra light brings the advent of fresh views. In the Bay Area no better example of clear-sighted perspectives can be found than in the work of the Robert Moses' Kin company and from the codirectors of the fourth Black Choreographers Festival: Here and Now, Kendra Kimbrough Barnes and Laura Elaine Ellis. Moses starts his two-week season at the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco on Feb. 14, while the Barnes-Ellis team is entering its festival's second half at Project Artaud Theater in San Francisco.
From Moses, be prepared for a smaller company of six dancers performing in a brand-new program that includes three world premieres and a revival of 2007's Rose (set to Beethoven), which is new to San Francisco. In addition to choreographing, the prodigious Moses also created the score for one of the evening's pieces, Reflections on an Approaching Thought. In step with the company's tradition of addressing social issues, the program's Consent delves into the ethics of medical experimentation on poor people.
The Black Choreographers Festival has scheduled three lineups spanning work representative of the African diaspora jazz, African, Afro-Brazilian as well as modern and dance theater. If you have never seen site-specific choreographer Joanna Haigood and her Zaccho Youth Group, from the Bayview neighborhood, don't miss them on the afternoon of Feb. 17. They are exceptional young artists.
ROBERT MOSES' KIN Thurs/14Sat/16 and Feb. 2023, 8 p.m.; Sun/17 and Feb. 24, 2 p.m.; $23$26. Jewish Community Center of San Francisco, 3200 California, SF. (415) 292-1233, www.jccsf.org
BLACK CHOREOGRAPHERS FESTIVAL Fri/15Sat/16, 8 p.m.; Sun/17, 3 and 7 p.m.; $10$20. Project Artaud Theater, 450 Florida, SF. (415) 863-9834, (510) 801-4523, www.bcfhereandnow.com
Most Commented On
- Protester barfs on windshield of Yahoo bus — Viva La Vomit! - July 13, 2014
- Endorsements 2013 - July 13, 2014
- BART on strike - July 12, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - July 12, 2014
- Albany Bulb dwellers speak out on temporary shelter arrangement - July 12, 2014
- All in: author and activist Julia Serano talks 'Excluded' - July 12, 2014
- Let's hope the progs organize - July 12, 2014
- I have been interested in - July 12, 2014
- San Francisco Will Do Just Fine - July 12, 2014
- Not sure my message worked: - July 12, 2014