Tip the blue-haired waitress well she's gotta have the patience of St. Val to deal with you two after your fourth Bloody Mary. Gift: seal the deal with Queen of the Coast (Bear Family, 2007), a four-CD box set of tunes by Bonnie Owens, who stole both Buck Owens's and Merle Haggard's hearts.
Jam Band Jessie Grub: grab your nut cream at Café Gratitude and chase each other around the table with wheatgrass shots. New game: if you don't make me utter the goofy menu item names, I will be grateful. Gift: crash into the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall Blu-ray DVD (Sony, 2007).
So hurry up and give your favorite pop tot some love or you just might find yourself without on VD.
CLUB NEON'S VALENTINE'S UNDERWEAR PARTY
With DJs Jamie Jams, Emdee, Little Melanie, and Aiadan
Thurs/14, 9 p.m., $5
3225 22nd St., SF
LOVE VENUS, LOVE DENGUE FEVER
J'adore Dengue Fever's new Venus on Earth (M80), and the band provides the perfect post-love-in aperitif with Sleepwalking Through the Mekong. The John Pirozzi documentary on the Los Angeles combo's trip to Cambodia ended up involving more than anyone anticipated. "Every contact was, like, 'Don't worry about anything! Just show up! Everything will be great!'<0x2009>" tour mastermind and bassist Senon Williams explains. "We'd be, like, 'Where are we playing?' 'I don't know. Just show up!' So we were all nervous going over there. We had all our instruments, but we needed amplifiers and PAs and a crowd to play to." Fortunately, Dengue Fever were quickly booked to appear on Cambodian Television Network, and a two-song turn mushroomed into 10 numbers and a two-hour appearance. "Instantly, we became famous across the country," Williams tells me, "because everyone watches TV there."
SLEEPWALKING THROUGH THE MEKONG
Fri/15, 9:30 p.m.; Sat/16, 12:30 p.m.; $10.50
2961 16th St., SF
Most Commented On
- You disagree with how others - March 16, 2014
- No, Greg, I'm not saying that you should join the trolls. - March 16, 2014
- Same dealio either way. - March 16, 2014
- That's in the Mish. - March 16, 2014
- Ah, so you admit you referred to an alleged conspiracy that was - March 16, 2014
- So you're saying I should join the trolls - March 16, 2014
- Yes I am denying that - March 16, 2014
- Nobody gives a crap about your Che fantasies, Greg. - March 16, 2014
- Calling yourself "Greg" is no different than calling yourself - March 16, 2014
- Greg, are you seriously denying that you accused the Ed Lee - March 16, 2014