"I have always been attracted to old music. I have always been a fan but I continue to discover 'new' old music," writes the vocalist, who says she started writing at age eight, was in bands in high school, and later had a cabaret act called the Pretty Babies. Elf (2003) gave her a chance to sing on film, but otherwise she had limited her music primarily to demos: "Demoing became sort of a hobby that I found relaxing."
She isn't concerned with trying to please hipsters or cool kids who might view her as a movie-star dilettante simply passing through the trenches of indie pop. "I hope each person responds to [Volume One] naturally without any agenda of mine seeping into the matter," she offers. "Ideally audience and artist should be uncorrupted by each other."
Not a surprise from a singer in love with the passion and craft of country music. "I think," Deschanel opines, "sincerity is hugely underrated."
SHE AND HIM
With Whispertown2000, Adam Stephens, and Emily Jane White
March 2, 8 p.m., sold out
Great American Music Hall
859 O'Farrell, SF
Most Commented On
- Good cop/bad cop - April 16, 2014
- Cynthia never asked me about my views - April 16, 2014
- Muni is not "in the hole" because we do not throw enough - April 16, 2014
- Why is it even a comparison: - April 16, 2014
- Exactly, SFBG, SEIU, the non-profits and the other leftist - April 16, 2014
- Greg has a number of handles and sock puppets that he uses - April 16, 2014
- That is the implied premise here - April 16, 2014
- Evidence? - April 16, 2014
- Ah, so you are suggesting a flat tax where all pay the same? - April 16, 2014
- The SFMTA Board is listening to the public - April 16, 2014