Our coverage of the 26th San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival kicks off with Marke B writing about Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, a sequel which offers a refreshing change from the stodgy fare that usually receives special presentations from less imaginative festivals. Marke asks star John Cho and screenwriters Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg to pass though the bullshit detector, and they irreverently oblige. Elsewhere, Kimberly Chun surveys the influence of the late Edward Yang, one of the fathers of modern Taiwanese cinema, not that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences - which recently left him out of their annual “In Memoriam” montage - would know. I take a look at Brillante Mendoza, whose brief directorial career to date is adding energy and variety to many-faceted CineManila activity. Keep an eye out for an upcoming interview with Mendoza in Pixel Vision, and check our short reviews of other SFIAAFF -- now, that’s an acronym -- features. (Johnny Ray Huston)
>> Multiculti cock-meat sandwich
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay and invade the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival
By Marke B.
>> Are you lonesome tonight?
Edward Yang searches for the personal amid the street gangs of Silicon Island
By Kimberly Chun
>> Manila: the drama
Brillante Mendoza looks at the costs of human lives
By Johnny Ray Huston
>> Take one
A quick guide to some Asian American Fest features
THE SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL ASIAN AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL runs March 13-23 at the Castro Theatre, 429 Castro, SF; Kabuki Cinemas, 1881 Post, SF; Clay Theater, 2261 Fillmore, SF; Pacific Film Archive, 2757 Bancroft, Berk; and Camera 12 Cinemas, 201 South Second St., San Jose. For tickets (most shows $10) and more information, go to www.asianamericanmedia.org.
Most Commented On
- Guest Has Been Drinking Heavily Again - December 6, 2013
- You Can't Even Keep Your Own Shit Straight - December 6, 2013
- You Live In Marin - December 6, 2013
- You Have Admitted To These Things Before - December 6, 2013
- West Marin - December 6, 2013
- Civility - December 6, 2013
- Yeah it's kind of hard to - December 6, 2013
- How about Oakland? Everybody - December 6, 2013
- Or it could be Jason Grant - December 6, 2013
- The key thing is to get a - December 6, 2013