I actually suffered from it for a minute on my penis."
Nah, nah, nah, the vocalist actually had a coin-size patch of affected skin for two years: "I have a theory why mine started happening the hand of god came down and touched me on this one spot no, I stepped on a bottle in a river and I got some sort of infection." It lingered throughout the period that Why? wrote, recorded, and mixed the new full-length, like an uninvited sweetheart. "It was looming and ominous and weird. At first I thought it was a fucking STD," Wolf says.
Slug of Atmosphere ended up setting him straight at a show in Baton Rouge, La., Wolf continues, and in the end, the bald patch "symbolized that period of my life for me, the creation of this record. For me, it was this little patch of honest skin: honest flesh with no covering or pretenses of an attempt to cover itself up, a little patch of baby skin that was really soft. That's what I was thinking, a return to the raw." Oh, and it's a tad sexy: "It's a pretty word," Wolf adds. "It sounds like a flower." *
With Dose One, Cryptacize, and DJ Odd Nosdam and DJ Jel
Thurs/6, 9 p.m., $13
Great American Music Hall
859 O'Farrell, SF
The Portland indie-psych outfit love them some land of the dead and some Robotech. Thurs/6, 9 p.m., $6. Hotel Utah, 500 Fourth St., SF. www.thehotelutahsaloon.com
SF's Crucial Blast ambassadors resurrect classic rock, post-punk, and sludge for giggles. With Old Time Relijun and Tea Elles. Thurs/6, 9:30 p.m., $8. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. www.hemlocktavern.com
Libya rocks thanks to the Bay's Heavenly States, who invest a whole lotta soul into their forthcoming Delayer (Rebel Group). With Citay. Fri/7, 9 p.m., $12. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. www.theindependentsf.com
XNOBBQX AND TOMES
The atonal Aussie Siltbreezers eschew bone meat, instead cutting to the 'core with militant vegan deconstructo-noise. Opening as Tomes, Loren Chasse and Glenn Donaldson delve into the dark, dank folk flip of Thuja. With Curse of the Birthmark. Sat/8, 9:30 p.m., $7. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF.
Most Commented On
- This man spoke the truth as - December 11, 2013
- I am far more concerned about the anger expressed at someone - December 11, 2013
- Will you also oppose the 10 story luxury - December 11, 2013
- Every living being has worth - December 11, 2013
- Wait til his little start-up - December 11, 2013
- Yeah, well, there are so few BMR units that it doesn't make much - December 11, 2013
- Units with low ceilings are ideal for Asians and Hispancis. - December 11, 2013
- CORRECTION: If HE wants to - December 11, 2013
- These will be divied up between various non profits - December 11, 2013
- Why should height limits be removed for BMR housing? - December 11, 2013