Every time I hear a Giorgio Moroder track, I am transported back to an exclusive Miami disco in the early '80s. I'm Cuban drug lord Tony Montana, in my white polyester suit, disco dancing with the robotic, all-bangs, ultrablond Elvira Hancock. Her heavily stylized and mechanical moves are only bolstered by her last three nose-powdering bathroom trips.
Fast-forward to a recent Saturday night at sleek Italo-disco night Ferrari, a monthly fundraiser for volunteer-based, DIY station 93.7 FM West Add Radio at Deco Lounge. While drug cartel members, big-name celebrities, and models were noticeably absent, the club still in its infancy and more baby powder than coca powder is still very insider-y, attracting a notable crew of local DJs, promoters, and scene makers.
Hitting the dance floor, I was surrounded by a who's who of San Francisco party throwers like Parker Day (Stiletto), Rchrd Oh?! (Hold Yr Horses, Lights down Low), and Juanita More (Trannyshack, Booty Call) among a mixed crowd of Mission kids, gay Tenderloin hipsters, and drag queens, all bumping on the dance floor to every conceivable disco subgenre whether it was Italo, Euro, or Hi-NRG from assorted decades.
DJs Christopher Vick (Gemini, Paradise), Jordan (House Parties), Nicky B (Electric Boogie), and Connor and Primo (Night Beat), who mix more obscure '80s dance artists Klein and MBO with innovator Donna Summer, describe their records simply as "robot rock."
As I passed a couple of girls dancing like automatons with blond, heavy-on-the-bangs hair I prepared to mourn the day this club is discovered by Bridgette and Tunnel. Maybe promoters can hire a machine gunwielding security team to keep out the riffraff. But disco's inherent inclusivity, bringing everyone together for an orgy of music and revelry, means biting the bullet and passing on the ammunition.
Second Saturdays, 10 p.m.2 a.m., $5
510 Larkin, SF
(415) 346-2025, www.decosf.com
Most Commented On
- Remember, I'm agreeing with you - August 1, 2014
- SF progressives labor under paradoxes - August 1, 2014
- In the future we should build density on transit hubs. - August 1, 2014
- The reason is simply. Unless SF progressives can find a villain - August 1, 2014
- What do you have against white male centrists, - August 1, 2014
- Just because you happen to - August 1, 2014
- If only Airbnb would take out - August 1, 2014
- to the American Jew - August 1, 2014
- What's with this endless - August 1, 2014
- I would have preferred CS thru to the waterfront - August 1, 2014