REVIEW Don't tell anyone, but I have a secret fetish. Nothing turns me on like a new pair of shoes, and few bring me to shoegasm like sexy stilettos. So I put on my favorite pair of Gucci patent-leather tuxedo shoes and headed down to Stiletto, clubutante Parker Day's arty party at Asia SF, in search of the perfect footwear.
Day named the night after the seductive heels, but it also alludes to the discreetly slim knife both of which are deadly in the hands of the Pam Anderson B-movie character Barb Wire. "It's sharp and it's sexy," Day said. "It gets to the point." But it was The Warriors, a 1979 cult classic about New York City street gangs at war, that set the theme for that night's party. As footage from the film was projected onto a side wall, the music morphed genres, from hip-hop and hit pop to electronic and indie-rock remixes for an audience as diverse as The Warriors's cast and equally reminiscent of the early-'80s Big Apple. Fab Five Freddy, Blondie, and Madonna occupy the same turf without incident.
The crowd's footwear was just as varied, but cowboy boots and Converse All-Stars were the most heavily represented in The Warriorsinspired fashion show. Taking cues from the movie, models worked leather vests and gunmetal belts into fierce ensembles, which they paraded down the runway like gangsters. A bit later, audience members were able to participate in a Warriorsthemed costume contest. Not to ruffle anyone's fab feathers, but I think my own shoes were the ultimate winners.
Third Friday of the month, 10 p.m.3 a.m., $8
201 Ninth St, SF
Most Commented On
- Sounds like a racist viewpoint to me - March 8, 2014
- One more detail. I stayed - March 8, 2014
- marcos, you have responded to his every post - March 8, 2014
- But it was my original post - March 8, 2014
- Siemens is a German company - March 8, 2014
- You keep responding to him, marcos - March 8, 2014
- California is already - March 8, 2014
- So that is why you keep respo - March 8, 2014
- When are you moving to Oakland then. Greg? - March 8, 2014
- Nobody cares about your weird theories either, marcos, - March 8, 2014