PREVIEW He's originally from France, currently living in East London, and his debut is out on a Swedish label and his productions are just as cosmopolitan. Simbad, né Stanislas Renouf, may just be coming up on the underground dance radar with productions ranging from majestic house with Robert Owens to heavy broken beats with Steelo, but he has been doing his best to ignore genres and focus on "quality booty music" for almost a decade.
The just-released Supersonic Revelation for Stockholm's Raw Fusion Records does a solid job of capturing Simbad's various moods. The multi-instrumentalist has almost as many styles as he does nom de tunes and imprints where they've found a home: Mowgly for Freerange, Loose Ensemble for Foundation, and, together with long-time partner Fred McQuinn, Twitch, Heal, and Marathon Men for Earth Project, Key Recordings, and Chillifunk, respectively. In addition to the nuanced electronica and deep house tendencies explored on the 2005 Marathon Men album, Blessings (Chillifunk), Simbad's solo effort includes a heavy dose of soul, as on the title track with Abdul Shyllon, with its quavering, pitch-bent synth line, easygoing hand claps, and multitracked vocals verging on doowop. Woe to the music store clerk who has to chose a genre for shelving this wide-ranging collection: just like his favorite type of party, Simbad's productions are truly many-hued. "I love it when the crowd is mixed actually. That's where it's the best!" the DJ explained via e-mail, just after praising Japan for its outstanding clubs with their somewhat homogenous crowds. "Our Je Ne Sais Quoi party in London, the legendary Raw Fusion party in Stockholm, Turntables on the Hudson in NYC," he raves. "All nations represented and all booties mixed together equals the best vibes. Just bring your smile down and be open your ass will follow!"
Fri/21, 10 p.m., $15. Pink, 2925 16th St., SF. (415) 431-8889, www.pinksf.com
Most Commented On
- Progressives are so certain that they are right 100% of the time - March 14, 2014
- Or people buy black market cigs in the same way that they buy - March 14, 2014
- Can someone please explain to - March 14, 2014
- People don't NEED a lot of - March 14, 2014
- ABC7's pedestrian safety coverage courts controversy - March 14, 2014
- Yep, he is just playing the race card - March 14, 2014
- I always shop at Colma and Serramonte anyway - March 14, 2014
- Government by zip code is discrimination - March 14, 2014
- BS - March 14, 2014
- Everyone knows to buy the ugliest home on the block so that - March 14, 2014