No one ever hears a song the same way, yet SOTL's music touches a specific emotional range one that is definitely in a minor key.
Case in point: And Their Refinement's "Don't Bother They're Here," a reverb-soaked gloss on the opening bars of Stephen Sondheim's maudlin ballad "Send in the Clowns." Stripping away the original's thick coating of show tune schmaltz, SOTL leave only a whispered trace of the lonely little melody at its center.
"We both love Judy Collins's version of that song. It's just a nod to beautiful melody," Wiltzie explains. "I've just wanted to create a beautiful sound that encapsulates a feeling of beauty and sadness in the same breath."
STARS OF THE LID
With Christopher Willis
Tues/15, 8 p.m., $15
628 Divisadero, SF
Most Commented On
- Your repulsive. - May 22, 2013
- Lil Reese - May 22, 2013
- Oro11 and Shawn Reynaldo - May 22, 2013
- Xorauguynagazsy - May 22, 2013
- What is "staggering expense" if City doesn't repair potholes? - May 22, 2013
- Enjoy our clothing free lifestyle! - May 22, 2013
- Are you Single and a Nudist? - May 22, 2013
- nudist dating - May 22, 2013
- Public employee unions suck... - May 21, 2013
- interesting - May 21, 2013