No one ever hears a song the same way, yet SOTL's music touches a specific emotional range one that is definitely in a minor key.
Case in point: And Their Refinement's "Don't Bother They're Here," a reverb-soaked gloss on the opening bars of Stephen Sondheim's maudlin ballad "Send in the Clowns." Stripping away the original's thick coating of show tune schmaltz, SOTL leave only a whispered trace of the lonely little melody at its center.
"We both love Judy Collins's version of that song. It's just a nod to beautiful melody," Wiltzie explains. "I've just wanted to create a beautiful sound that encapsulates a feeling of beauty and sadness in the same breath."
STARS OF THE LID
With Christopher Willis
Tues/15, 8 p.m., $15
628 Divisadero, SF
Most Commented On
- Tale of two parties: Was the 8 Washington defeat a referendum - April 20, 2014
- Don't be a Glasshole - April 20, 2014
- Fast bills - April 19, 2014
- oOmHLcSCPSbnNiFq - April 19, 2014
- cEBpuLEIoWvA - April 19, 2014
- Guardian honored for investigation of buying influence at City - April 19, 2014
- BEST SPELL CASTER - April 19, 2014
- A radical proposal: Squat Airbnb hosts' homes to create - April 19, 2014
- drabiza helped me - April 19, 2014
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014