No one ever hears a song the same way, yet SOTL's music touches a specific emotional range one that is definitely in a minor key.
Case in point: And Their Refinement's "Don't Bother They're Here," a reverb-soaked gloss on the opening bars of Stephen Sondheim's maudlin ballad "Send in the Clowns." Stripping away the original's thick coating of show tune schmaltz, SOTL leave only a whispered trace of the lonely little melody at its center.
"We both love Judy Collins's version of that song. It's just a nod to beautiful melody," Wiltzie explains. "I've just wanted to create a beautiful sound that encapsulates a feeling of beauty and sadness in the same breath."
STARS OF THE LID
With Christopher Willis
Tues/15, 8 p.m., $15
628 Divisadero, SF
Most Commented On
- Thank you so much for - July 24, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 24, 2014
- 50 bucks says - July 24, 2014
- SFBG has always been a white newspaper. - July 24, 2014
- Homeless People Infesting the Main Library - July 24, 2014
- So what are "progressives" doing to fix public education? - July 24, 2014
- FBFoPYvvWKhBC - July 24, 2014
- aFygUdPcXhr - July 24, 2014
- More $ to Muni means more absenteeism. - July 24, 2014
- Um... Tenant's rights might - July 24, 2014