No one ever hears a song the same way, yet SOTL's music touches a specific emotional range one that is definitely in a minor key.
Case in point: And Their Refinement's "Don't Bother They're Here," a reverb-soaked gloss on the opening bars of Stephen Sondheim's maudlin ballad "Send in the Clowns." Stripping away the original's thick coating of show tune schmaltz, SOTL leave only a whispered trace of the lonely little melody at its center.
"We both love Judy Collins's version of that song. It's just a nod to beautiful melody," Wiltzie explains. "I've just wanted to create a beautiful sound that encapsulates a feeling of beauty and sadness in the same breath."
STARS OF THE LID
With Christopher Willis
Tues/15, 8 p.m., $15
628 Divisadero, SF
Most Commented On
- companies aren't doing a - March 13, 2014
- Who the fuck does this guy think he is? - March 13, 2014
- They're angry they no longer get 6-9 months - March 13, 2014
- let's be clear - March 13, 2014
- Yes, there is no reason to elect a school board anyway - March 13, 2014
- There will be. The community won't stand for this squalor any - March 13, 2014
- Why didn't you move some place a little cheaper? - March 13, 2014
- Idora, are you saying only losers live in the Mission or - March 13, 2014
- Or alternatively, none of that hyperbole will matter at all - March 13, 2014
- Wait a sec... - March 13, 2014