For nearly as long as unions have existed, he said, power struggles have taken place among union brass. "Any incumbency has enormous weapons at its disposal."
Benson praised Stern for his efforts in recruiting new members for SEIU. As the rest of organized labor has continued to decline in America, Stern's shop has brought in nearly 1 million new members. But Benson took issue with what he perceived as intolerance for dissent within his ranks.
"Stern has a vision of an almost militarized bureaucratic labor movement ... but if you can't have criticism before your international convention, when can you have it?"
Most Commented On
- Tech sets out to help the homeless - March 15, 2014
- You're obviously a - March 15, 2014
- I think Zuck lives in a part - March 15, 2014
- There was a fellow named - March 15, 2014
- What a bunch of reactionary douchebags - March 15, 2014
- There are too many damn Asian restaurants anyway - March 15, 2014
- I agree - it's a non-story - March 15, 2014
- 5K buys you a month of rent in the Mission these days - March 15, 2014
- Not seeing the scandal here... - March 15, 2014
- I can't stand the rest of - March 15, 2014