The accompanying mushroom side sauce seemed neither Turkish nor Mexican French, if anything.
Seafood sopes ($13), on the other hand, did seem Mexican. This dish consisted of a pair of sopes disk-shaped corn cakes with a lip, like shortcakes from strawberry-filled summers of yore topped with a mélange of sautéed bay scallops and shrimp and pipings of guacamole and sour cream. The Mexican bistros we don't have enough of could probably survive by offering not much more than this dish alone. The braised shreds of red cabbage on the side were a bracingly vinegary, colorful bonus.
The chocolate fondue dessert is a staple at fondue restaurants, where many of us tend to eat too much anyway. Loló, in keeping with its trim-waistline philosophy, takes a quasi-minimalist tack; its version ($7) consists of a modest amount of good dark chocolate melted in a chafing dish, and a fistful of blueberries, raspberries, and squares of banana bread for dunking. Because fondue can't be gobbled down but must be eaten rather painstakingly, jab by jab, one has the impression of eating more than what is actually being eaten and is satisfied accordingly. At the end, we were given two spoons to finish off the remnant of the chocolate about a spoonful each, like a kiss goodnight before heading off to dreamland, where sooner or later we all win the lottery.
Dinner: Tues.Thurs., 5:3010 p.m.; Fri.Sat., 5:3011 p.m.
Brunch: Sat.Sun., 11 a.m.3 p.m.
3230 22nd St., SF
(415) 643-LOLO (5656)
Wine and beer
Most Commented On
- VOTE NO on all the phony money heists! - March 17, 2014
- Incorrect On All Three Points - March 17, 2014
- So in other words you have no - March 17, 2014
- Alcohol helps everyone get laid, and the species to propagate. - March 17, 2014
- It's easy to see why you need - March 17, 2014
- Exactly. - March 17, 2014
- I've seen words like "sharks", "hogs", "snakes", "vultures" and - March 17, 2014
- Enough animosity to have a commonly accepted - March 17, 2014
- exactly - March 17, 2014
- True, and in fact the word "progressive" itself us devoid of any - March 17, 2014