The accompanying mushroom side sauce seemed neither Turkish nor Mexican French, if anything.
Seafood sopes ($13), on the other hand, did seem Mexican. This dish consisted of a pair of sopes disk-shaped corn cakes with a lip, like shortcakes from strawberry-filled summers of yore topped with a mélange of sautéed bay scallops and shrimp and pipings of guacamole and sour cream. The Mexican bistros we don't have enough of could probably survive by offering not much more than this dish alone. The braised shreds of red cabbage on the side were a bracingly vinegary, colorful bonus.
The chocolate fondue dessert is a staple at fondue restaurants, where many of us tend to eat too much anyway. Loló, in keeping with its trim-waistline philosophy, takes a quasi-minimalist tack; its version ($7) consists of a modest amount of good dark chocolate melted in a chafing dish, and a fistful of blueberries, raspberries, and squares of banana bread for dunking. Because fondue can't be gobbled down but must be eaten rather painstakingly, jab by jab, one has the impression of eating more than what is actually being eaten and is satisfied accordingly. At the end, we were given two spoons to finish off the remnant of the chocolate about a spoonful each, like a kiss goodnight before heading off to dreamland, where sooner or later we all win the lottery.
Dinner: Tues.Thurs., 5:3010 p.m.; Fri.Sat., 5:3011 p.m.
Brunch: Sat.Sun., 11 a.m.3 p.m.
3230 22nd St., SF
(415) 643-LOLO (5656)
Wine and beer
Most Commented On
- The brand here was designed - June 19, 2013
- nope, I meant apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- Back to reality, anon guest. - June 19, 2013
- No, Marcos, an ideology that cannot tolerate dissent, nor - June 19, 2013
- Any chance you'll post your - June 19, 2013
- compensation - June 19, 2013
- In the same way that Redmond - June 19, 2013
- I think "Admin" meant "quotes" and not "apostrophes". - June 19, 2013
- I wouldn't say that the Progressives had many "admirable wins". - June 19, 2013
- Every politician understands the need for co-operation and - June 19, 2013