PREVIEW The first time I saw Mike Patton I was 10. It was a sticky July afternoon and here's this long-haired guy on MTV gesticuutf8g and rapping to distorted guitars. It freaked me out not the lightning-shooting eyeball embedded in his hand or that flopping fish inciting the ire of PETA activists but the man himself. He inspired a major uh-oh feeling, and my understanding of the universe was eternally compromised.
But that was 1989. Since those early, badly dressed years with forever-fighting Faith No More, Patton has spearheaded many beloved projects on the noisy melodic fringe, from the haunting Fantômas to his recent pop-wannabe project Peeping Tom. Now with Crudo, he's teamed up with Dan the Automator, a.k.a. Daniel Nakamura, the Bay Area producer on the forefront of groundbreaking hip-hop, including Gorillaz's eponymous putf8um-selling debut album (Virgin, 2001) and the Handsome Boy Modeling School with De la Soul's Prince Paul.
"Crudo" may be Italian for raw, but this isn't the dynamic duo's freshest collaboration in 2001 Patton and Nakumura worked together on Lovage: Songs to Make Love to Your Old Lady By (NicheMusic.com Inc), a fun if challenging listen. Crudo's MySpace page gives a single one minute, fifty-six second glimpse called "Let's Go," a poppy tease that makes me dance, but not much else. There's no official word on a new album release date, but rumor in the blogosphere is 2009.
To bide time, Patton and DTA fans won't want to miss Crudo's debut appearance at Great American Music Hall, a practice run for Washington State's Sasquatch Festival two days later. Fulfill your Crudosity. Personally, I need to see if Patton still creeps me out. I hope so.
CRUDO With San Quinn. Thurs/22, 8 p.m., $21. Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell, SF. (415) 885-0750, www.gamh.com
Most Commented On
- material research - May 19, 2013
- Did you factor in this area of the equation - May 19, 2013
- So you exploit illegals while - May 19, 2013
- There is an easy solution to all of this - May 19, 2013
- Good To See You Are Coming Around - May 19, 2013
- If your assumption is all - May 19, 2013
- Wrong, Johnny. You can get US citizenship if you are - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynaciyxp - May 19, 2013
- I'll take that over arm sales any day. - May 19, 2013
- "Give Them a Job" - May 19, 2013