1. Unholy howler monkey!
2. The first murder victim delivers hilarious faux-archaeologist lines. She resembles Christopher Guest stalwart Catherine O' Hara.
3. The dark circles under Asia Argento's eyes and the scour-rough warm wool of her voice. She's a star.
4. This time, Dario Argento's trademark homicidal attack on a character's eyes is a steel version of the nyuk nyuk nyuk treatment that Moe used to give Curly.
5. Daria Nicolodi's character looks like a video game avatar. Plus, her appearance and her role create an entire other story that surrounds the story onscreen: one in which Asia, her child by Dario, saves the world from occult apocalypse (but dutifully showers before her daddy's camera and dives into a putrescent soup of corpses first).
6. Best baby-killing scene since Andy Warhol's Bad (1977).
7. Asia has to fend off Eurotrashy new wave cackling witches, Japanese Goth cackling witches, and International Malemodel cackling witches all of which love public transit.
8. Instead of a Helena Marcoslike Suspiria crone, the lead villain is an underdressed nymphet. Someone I saw the movie with deemed her "Boob Lady."
9. It delivers more gruesome guts and gore than every mechanical Hollywood horror remake of the past 10 years put together. If you walk into the theater in a state of frustration, you will leave it in a state of blood-sated jubilation.
10. It's the third part of the Three Mothers trilogy, fool!
MOTHER OF TEARS
Opens Fri/20 at Bay Area theaters
Most Commented On
- Pathetic. Negatives can never be proven. - July 28, 2014
- Please provide one that - July 28, 2014
- Steven, it has been estimated that anywhere between one third - July 28, 2014
- Although there are thousands of Airbnb rentals in SF, very few - July 28, 2014
- If there is no question about it then you will be able to cite a - July 28, 2014
- Corrections - July 28, 2014
- ClEpauJHZNJybsJsL - July 28, 2014
- yliJjQpIRethx - July 28, 2014
- Limitations on short-term - July 28, 2014
- Planning Commission hearing - July 28, 2014