REVIEW May 15 was one of those few cheery days in San Francisco when a sunny morning transitioned into a "warm wind blowing, stars are out" night. Oh yeah, and that whole State Supreme Court lifting the ban on gay marriage thing probably raised overall spirits a bit. But no, that wasn't the reason the evening mood was so upbeat. In fact, the joyous news that day was that a straight couple, refusing to be disenfranchised any longer, announced their engagement at the Stud's mixed, bimonthly, electro-punk-pop night Rock Candy. I know, it's all so unclear, but it wouldn't be the city by the Bay if the fog didn't continuously roll in, right? And as I rolled into the club, ready to rock, I too refused to be left out in the cold any longer and searched the venue for my next ex.
Sure, I came up in the age of rock star divorces like those of Tommy Lee and Heather Locklear or Locklear again and Richie Sambora. So I vow that if I were a rock, I'd be jade because I no longer have faith in the so-called sacrament of marriage. Still, I say if straight people want to live in acrimony, they should be able to. But ear candy beat eye candy for the night-creatures in attendance amid the polyamorous union of DJed new rave, goth, indie, and Brit-pop, and club hosts Marc Blinder and Virginia Suicide's rousing gay marriage-themed sing-along, which culminated with the inspiring "We Are the Champions." Truth be told, I think it's great that the happy couple delayed their announcement until everyone achieved the freedom to marry. Nonetheless, my more disillusioned half wondered what all the commitment-phobic gay partners, who previously shooed off marriage with "Darling, I'd marry you if I could," will do now.
ROCK CANDY First and Third Thursdays, 9 p.m.2 a.m., $5. Stud, 399 Ninth St., SF. www.elasticfuture.com
Most Commented On
- This is unfortunate indeed - May 20, 2013
- Henri Le Chat Noir - May 20, 2013
- Fair points. Bur perhaps San Francisco just isn't big enough to - May 20, 2013
- Great correction - May 20, 2013
- I'd prefer that people who knows their appearance might - May 20, 2013
- Links - May 20, 2013
- Drudge and Huffington seem to do OK. - May 20, 2013
- That's exactly my point! - May 20, 2013
- It's all very well saying that people here "should contribute" - May 20, 2013
- Bloggers aren't journalists - May 20, 2013