REVIEW May 15 was one of those few cheery days in San Francisco when a sunny morning transitioned into a "warm wind blowing, stars are out" night. Oh yeah, and that whole State Supreme Court lifting the ban on gay marriage thing probably raised overall spirits a bit. But no, that wasn't the reason the evening mood was so upbeat. In fact, the joyous news that day was that a straight couple, refusing to be disenfranchised any longer, announced their engagement at the Stud's mixed, bimonthly, electro-punk-pop night Rock Candy. I know, it's all so unclear, but it wouldn't be the city by the Bay if the fog didn't continuously roll in, right? And as I rolled into the club, ready to rock, I too refused to be left out in the cold any longer and searched the venue for my next ex.
Sure, I came up in the age of rock star divorces like those of Tommy Lee and Heather Locklear or Locklear again and Richie Sambora. So I vow that if I were a rock, I'd be jade because I no longer have faith in the so-called sacrament of marriage. Still, I say if straight people want to live in acrimony, they should be able to. But ear candy beat eye candy for the night-creatures in attendance amid the polyamorous union of DJed new rave, goth, indie, and Brit-pop, and club hosts Marc Blinder and Virginia Suicide's rousing gay marriage-themed sing-along, which culminated with the inspiring "We Are the Champions." Truth be told, I think it's great that the happy couple delayed their announcement until everyone achieved the freedom to marry. Nonetheless, my more disillusioned half wondered what all the commitment-phobic gay partners, who previously shooed off marriage with "Darling, I'd marry you if I could," will do now.
ROCK CANDY First and Third Thursdays, 9 p.m.2 a.m., $5. Stud, 399 Ninth St., SF. www.elasticfuture.com
Most Commented On
- Only an idiot who knows - March 13, 2014
- "Alt?" - March 13, 2014
- No, the city doesn't give any money to corporations. - March 13, 2014
- When is Mar termed out? - March 13, 2014
- March On City Hall! - March 13, 2014
- Another legislative initiative courtesy of Eric Mar's daughter - March 13, 2014
- My guess is that he just likes regressive taxes - March 13, 2014
- Why stop at soda? Shouldn't - March 13, 2014
- It's not about being poor. It's about being stupid. - March 13, 2014
- Yes, everyone laughs at SF politics - we know that. - March 13, 2014