(The meat disappeared considerably faster than the broth, which we mopped up with a trayful of warm corn tortillas.)
Another, carne en su jugo ($17.50), turned out to be a kind of beef and bean stew traceable to the Mexican state of Jalisco (which is, not coincidentally, the heart of tequila country). The meat was obviously an obstinate cut that was going to require some serious tenderizing; it had been carved into ribbons, then simmered with red beans in a broth of lime juice, cilantro, and onions, almost like a cooked beef ceviche. The final product was puckeringly flavorful and nearly too salty I almost never say such a thing but was redeemed, in the end, by the acidity of the citrus.
A common experience in Mexican restaurants (at least for me) is to have done so much front-loading on chips, salsa, and the sundry delights known as antojitos at the beginning of the meal that, approaching the end, the mere thought of dessert becomes unbearable. Particularly if the dessert is flan, which it often is. Mexican flans aren't bad, but I've never had one to compare with a good crème caramel or panna cotta. A simple solution to this problem, if it is a problem, is to offer something else, and Tres Agaves does, several times over.
Nonetheless, we didn't quite warm to a chocolate-cinnamon cake ($6), despite its reasonable price and its attractive disk shape. The cake appeared with suspicious swiftness after we'd ordered it, leading us to suppose it had been sitting around for who knew how long, just dying to be summoned like an anxious junior-high-schooler at a dance. And it was dry from undue refrigeration? My kingdom for a flan! *
Dinner: Mon.Wed., 510 p.m.; Thurs.Fri., 511 p.m.; Sat., 311 p.m.; Sun., 310 p.m.
Lunch: Mon.Fri., 11:30 a.m.3 p.m.
Brunch: Sat.Sun., 10 a.m.3 p.m.
130 Townsend, SF
Most Commented On
- The numbers alone are misleading because they do not allow - March 9, 2014
- The problem with private - March 9, 2014
- So Greg admits that SF is full of people who cannot function - March 9, 2014
- Look at it this way, Snoozers - March 9, 2014
- The issue isn't whether poetry is worthwhile but rather why - March 9, 2014
- So you're saying marcos is just like a driver? - March 9, 2014
- Class based envy politics doesn't sit well with most voters - March 9, 2014
- When you cannot defeat an opponent then - March 9, 2014
- oBaVKmYrxmf - March 9, 2014
- Another new to town progressive. - March 9, 2014