PREVIEW One morning futzing around on Craigslist trying to avoid the addictive looky-loo temptation of "casual encounters," I decided to waste time checking out what "musicians" were up to instead. I must've been directed there by a higher power, for I, curious, had clicked on a desperate request from a fan of seminal mid-1990s San Jose stoner-metal trio Sleep seeking any footage of their Sabbath-y riffage. Holy cannabis! I totally had some, buried amid S-M porn, scenes of teenage anarchy in Over the Edge (1979), and poignant Crass videos compiled into tripper montages my friend, who got kicked off Santa Cruz's public access station, likes to craft.
We were back to the historic days of tape trading (though she and I both later remembered a little cheating trick called YouTube). But since crackly VHS renditions only satisfy so much, and since that quintessential band has moved on to debatably bigger and better musical mastery with zero hope of any reunion, it's vital to find the real, live thing. Could fulfillment lie in this weekend's Black Summer of Doom and Fuzz? Two days of 18 mostly East Bay bands, presented by Eric Hagan and Purple Astronaut Records, promises to at least acquaint you with the local scene's offerings, and, at most, jumpstart devotion to yet another awesomely doomy, fuzzy ensemble. It's high time I filled my summer stoner rock quota. Gorge on sustained power chords, languish in spacey amethyst tracers, float on a sea of Orange amplification. Ride the dragon!
Which reminds me, I have to get that tape back.
BLACK SUMMER OF DOOM AND FUZZ Sat/26 with Soul Broker, White Witch Canyon, House of Broken Promises, HDR, and Scorched Earth Policy. Sun/27 with Butcher, Sludgebucket, BRNR, Greenhouse Effect, and Automatic Animal. See Web site for complete lineup. 3 p.m., $10 per day. Stork Club, 2330 Telegraph, Oakl. (510) 444-6174, www.storkcluboakland.com
Most Commented On
- Ok, how about ABC News? They're "truthers" too? - July 25, 2014
- The coup government in Egypt is complicit with the Israeli seige - July 25, 2014
- Just to be clear - July 25, 2014
- Greg, you are embarrassing everyone. Get help. - July 25, 2014
- Tip some back at the Barworkers Ball - July 25, 2014
- How fun - Greg's also a Truther too! - July 25, 2014
- Oh, wait. Of course you're confused, - July 25, 2014
- Nightlife: DJ legend Pete Tong comes to SF - July 25, 2014
- I'd be just fine if we elected the MTA - July 25, 2014
- A bit of history on the conflict - July 25, 2014