"Carpenter became surrounded by a cloud of dust that was caused by Gordon Ball's failure to water the ground prior to commencing grading," the suit alleges, noting that Carpenter complained about Ball's unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, some of which violated Bay Area Air Quality Management District regulations and the city's Health Code, before he was fired.
At City Hall, Sup. Sophie Maxwell is seeking to amend the city's Building Code to require more-stringent dust control measures for demolition and construction projects. (The Building Inspection Commission opposed Maxwell's proposal in December 2007, in a 43 vote).
On July 22, the Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to support Maxwell's dust legislation.
Meanwhile, the Rev. Christopher Muhammad, who represents the Muhammad University of Islam adjacent to Parcel A, asked the San Francisco Health Commission to investigate why it took until July 14 for the local community to learn of an asbestos-level violation that occurred at Lennar's Parcel A site just four days before the June 3 election.
Muhammad suspects the infraction was hushed up because Lennar was engaged in the most expensive initiative battle in San Francisco's history, plunking down a total of $5 million to support the ultimately successful Proposition G, which gives the developer control of Candlestick Point and the shipyard.
Amy Brownell of the Department of Public Health told the Guardian that the violation, which registered at 138,800 structures per cubic meter of air (the city's work shutdown level is set at 16,000 structures) did not trigger a work suspension because there was no work planned at Lennar's site May 31 or June 1, which was a weekend.
Most Commented On
- dghMaOViLyP - April 18, 2014
- That is what struck me most - April 18, 2014
- evidence of cops lying is in their history - April 18, 2014
- more baloney - April 18, 2014
- load of baloney - April 18, 2014
- Fact: noun. something that actually exists; reality; truth. - April 18, 2014
- DR.LOVESPELL IS THE REAL SPELL CASTER - April 18, 2014
- kbbSfqrybRHgwdDhO - April 18, 2014
- Hello What a great and - April 18, 2014
- Hello I am carol - April 18, 2014