I know you've rolled your eyes in the past at overzealous combinations of birth control, but it does seem like with the potential for error in condom usage and the possibility of mishaps or undetected flaws, a not-so-invasive backup is a great idea as long as it doesn't come with the side effect of excruciating discomfort.
Back Me Up Here
Oh dear. I hope she's your primary care doc. I'd expect a gyno to know better. Nonoxynol-9 can indeed upset your delicate lady-balance but, even worse, can make you more vulnerable to STDs. I'd avoid it like well, if not the plague, at least a bad yeast infection. And yes, I've rolled my eyes at some overcautious method-doublers, but usually for imagining that their brand-new sex lives with their equally recently devirginated childhood sweethearts require multiple methods of STD protection. For you, I'll forswear the eye-rolling and suggest sticking with the condoms, following the directions, changing them mid-act if you're going to be more vigorous or persistent than usual, and pre-locating a source for emergency contraception so you'll have it in the somewhat unlikely but not impossible event of condom breakage. I feel about spermicide the way the first writer felt about the pill: hate hate hate hatedy hate.
Andrea is home with the kids and going stir-crazy. Write her a letter! Ask her a question! Send her your tedious e-mail forwards! On second thought, don't do that. Just ask her a question.
Most Commented On
- I understand perfectly that you cannot restrict who - May 23, 2013
- "Peter", some of us have done very well because of the - May 23, 2013
- There was an old fart, - May 23, 2013
- Lilli, learn how to add links or people here will just think - May 23, 2013
- Agree 100%. This alleged concern for renters is little more than - May 23, 2013
- By that argument, Greg, we should abolish all welfare. - May 23, 2013
- "Subsidies for the elite2 is highly misleading. - May 23, 2013
- Case Law, Not constitutional theory - May 23, 2013
- The SFBG's Comment Trolls Live In Egypt - May 23, 2013
- Greg, I generally agree with your viewpoints. - May 23, 2013