I know you've rolled your eyes in the past at overzealous combinations of birth control, but it does seem like with the potential for error in condom usage and the possibility of mishaps or undetected flaws, a not-so-invasive backup is a great idea as long as it doesn't come with the side effect of excruciating discomfort.
Back Me Up Here
Oh dear. I hope she's your primary care doc. I'd expect a gyno to know better. Nonoxynol-9 can indeed upset your delicate lady-balance but, even worse, can make you more vulnerable to STDs. I'd avoid it like well, if not the plague, at least a bad yeast infection. And yes, I've rolled my eyes at some overcautious method-doublers, but usually for imagining that their brand-new sex lives with their equally recently devirginated childhood sweethearts require multiple methods of STD protection. For you, I'll forswear the eye-rolling and suggest sticking with the condoms, following the directions, changing them mid-act if you're going to be more vigorous or persistent than usual, and pre-locating a source for emergency contraception so you'll have it in the somewhat unlikely but not impossible event of condom breakage. I feel about spermicide the way the first writer felt about the pill: hate hate hate hatedy hate.
Andrea is home with the kids and going stir-crazy. Write her a letter! Ask her a question! Send her your tedious e-mail forwards! On second thought, don't do that. Just ask her a question.
Most Commented On
- Kulcher - June 19, 2013
- You caught me - my real name - June 19, 2013
- No, Ann, everyone doesn't know what is trolling. - June 19, 2013
- Buh-Bye..... - June 19, 2013
- Ann, both are factors, surely. - June 19, 2013
- Everyone knows what trolling - June 19, 2013
- Being "Queen of Kink" is at best an ephemeral honor. - June 19, 2013
- But you're aren't really arguing the "joint" part of that Steven - June 19, 2013
- Why is government employment a good thing in general? - June 19, 2013
- Yes, the SF left always mindlessly supports the city family - June 19, 2013