NAME Dustin Aksland
TITLE Paso Robles, CA (2005)
BACKGROUND This was shot during a trip to Paso Robles. My friend and I pulled off the highway to take the back roads into town. As soon as we pulled off, we passed this man sleeping in his car. We went about a half-mile and I made my friend turn around. We pulled up in front of the car and I shot two frames out of the passenger window.
INSPIRATION "Useful pictures don't start from ideas, they start from seeing." Robert Adams.
SHOWS "States of Mind," September. TH Inside, Brussels, Belgium. "States of Mind," November. TH Inside, Copenhagen, Denmark.
NAME Bayeté Ross-Smith
TITLE Here Come the Girls
BACKGROUND This is part of a series that documents high school students in Berkeley, east Oakland, San Francisco, and Richmond as they mark their ascension from childhood to adulthood through the celebratory rite of passage known as prom. Taking a cue from traditional prom photos, the portraits allow for seriousness and playful flamboyance, depicting a vast array of budding identities.
SHOUT OUTS Walter Iooss, the Magnum photographers, and James Van Der Zee.
SHOW "Pomp and Circumstance: First Time to Be Adults," Sept. 4Oct. 11. Tues.Fri., 10:30 a.m.5:30 p.m.; Sat., 10:30 a.m.5 p.m. Patricia Sweetow Gallery, 77 Geary (mezzanine), SF. (415) 788-5126, www.patriciasweetwogallery.com. Upcoming: "Off Color," Sept. 19Nov. 1. RUSH Arts Gallery, New York.
NAME Mimi Plumb
BACKGROUND These photos are part of an ongoing series that began about 10 years ago when I photographed a herd in the John Muir Wilderness of the Sierra Nevada. The horses in this new series live in Petaluma.
SHOUT OUTS Horses' backs embody the landscape. They become the horizon and horizon line, at times transforming into the rolling hills of the California landscape where I grew up, before tract houses and strip malls became the norm.
SHOW "18 Months: Taking the Pulse of Bay Area Photography," through Sept. 17. Mon.Fri., 8 a.m.8 p.m. San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery at City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlet Place, SF. (415) 554-6080, www.sfacgallery.org
Most Commented On
- One of the things... - December 4, 2013
- Most so-called activists are. - December 4, 2013
- Rebecca, the distinction is immediate and obvious - December 4, 2013
- Mr Basinger is kind of a d*ck - December 4, 2013
- Is Chris Jackson really quitting? - December 4, 2013
- From your own cite, GPD, the bottom 50% pay just 2% of all - December 4, 2013
- There are many more taxes than just income tax. - December 4, 2013
- the man that help me get my ex back to me - December 4, 2013
- Do Your Own Work - December 4, 2013
- Suspending Judgment - December 4, 2013