Elliott Smith: Photo by Debra Zeller
•Know the craft, natch. "I think it's important to shoot in manual and really know how to work your camera," Zeller insists. "That's how you get the images. If you just rely on program mode, chances are you'll be lucky to get a couple of good shots."
•"Don't be afraid to work for a six-pack," advises Ellenby, who cofounded tech company GeoVector and is currently working on a Joe Strummer photo project. "Don't think it's your road to riches, either especially if you like indie music. I would make more money if I wanted to, but I don't like working for a giant music corporation. I like it better when I'm working one-on-one for a band when you're hired by a band you can let the creativity flow."
•"My only other piece of advice is, shut up and push the button," Knudson says. "When you're shooting live bands, you're going to miss the shot if you're busy telling your friend how cool you are."
I CAN GO FOR THAT
Dulcet Midwestern pop-smiths take on Someone Else's Déjà Vu (Saddle Creek). Wed/6, 9 p.m., $8. Bottom of the Hill, 1233 17th St., SF. www.bottomofthehill.com
FUTURE BLONDES AND C.L.A.W.S.
Malevolent Houston beats call up the ground-control SF bass-meister. With Skozey Fetisch. Thurs/7, 9 p.m., $6. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. www.hemlocktavern.com
ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES
Punk supergroupers grope classic hits anew with Have Another Ball! (Fat Wreck Chords). Sat/9Sun/10, 8 p.m. $15. Parkside, 1600 17th St., SF. www.theeparkside.com
A revolution in rock-hip-hop pairings begins with Linkin Park, Chris Cornell, Bravery, Ashes Divide, Busta Rhymes, Hawthorne Heights, and Street Drum Corps. Sat/9, 2 p.m., $34$77. Shoreline Amphitheatre, 1 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View. www.ticketmaster.com
DARYL HALL AND JOHN OATES
Private eyes, they're watching you, watching you, watching you-o-o-o-o-o. Tues/12, 7:30 p.m., $49.50$78. Mountain Winery, 14831 Pierce, Saratoga. www.ticketmaster.com
Most Commented On
- Emma buys the "you can't be racist about whites" line - July 23, 2014
- Again as a journalist when you make a claim you must - July 23, 2014
- He's right though. When you have a mix of commercial and - July 23, 2014
- There are a whole gaggle of people like that only in SF, who - July 23, 2014
- So you don't care about the neighbors who now have - July 23, 2014
- The water would not be lost. It would simply be allowed to flow - July 23, 2014
- All national parks are very expensive if terms of the - July 23, 2014
- It has ruined a valley as beautiful as Yosemite and continues to - July 23, 2014
- So we should support Arab terrorists instead? - July 23, 2014
- Like any investment strategy, such an approach may work - July 23, 2014