Elliott Smith: Photo by Debra Zeller
•Know the craft, natch. "I think it's important to shoot in manual and really know how to work your camera," Zeller insists. "That's how you get the images. If you just rely on program mode, chances are you'll be lucky to get a couple of good shots."
•"Don't be afraid to work for a six-pack," advises Ellenby, who cofounded tech company GeoVector and is currently working on a Joe Strummer photo project. "Don't think it's your road to riches, either especially if you like indie music. I would make more money if I wanted to, but I don't like working for a giant music corporation. I like it better when I'm working one-on-one for a band when you're hired by a band you can let the creativity flow."
•"My only other piece of advice is, shut up and push the button," Knudson says. "When you're shooting live bands, you're going to miss the shot if you're busy telling your friend how cool you are."
I CAN GO FOR THAT
Dulcet Midwestern pop-smiths take on Someone Else's Déjà Vu (Saddle Creek). Wed/6, 9 p.m., $8. Bottom of the Hill, 1233 17th St., SF. www.bottomofthehill.com
FUTURE BLONDES AND C.L.A.W.S.
Malevolent Houston beats call up the ground-control SF bass-meister. With Skozey Fetisch. Thurs/7, 9 p.m., $6. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. www.hemlocktavern.com
ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES
Punk supergroupers grope classic hits anew with Have Another Ball! (Fat Wreck Chords). Sat/9Sun/10, 8 p.m. $15. Parkside, 1600 17th St., SF. www.theeparkside.com
A revolution in rock-hip-hop pairings begins with Linkin Park, Chris Cornell, Bravery, Ashes Divide, Busta Rhymes, Hawthorne Heights, and Street Drum Corps. Sat/9, 2 p.m., $34$77. Shoreline Amphitheatre, 1 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View. www.ticketmaster.com
DARYL HALL AND JOHN OATES
Private eyes, they're watching you, watching you, watching you-o-o-o-o-o. Tues/12, 7:30 p.m., $49.50$78. Mountain Winery, 14831 Pierce, Saratoga. www.ticketmaster.com
Most Commented On
- When all you have is an insult, I know that I have - December 13, 2013
- No, I see a place for all modes of transportation. - December 13, 2013
- Sounds like you hate a whole class of people based on their - December 13, 2013
- LOL. Greg, so a person's background and past behavior is - December 13, 2013
- Home Insurance - December 13, 2013
- You all - December 13, 2013
- music windows gadgets for windows 7 - December 13, 2013
- music widgets for your blog - December 13, 2013
- music widgets for wordpress - December 13, 2013
- music widgets for websites - December 13, 2013