REVIEW "I have the feeling that if you give most people in the world the choice between enough food for their children and shelter and clothing in return for their freedom of speech, that they will go for the food, the shelter, and the necessities," said Dalton Trumbo, screenwriter of Spartacus (1960), Exodus (1960), Papillon (1973), and a number of other films, including Roman Holiday (1953) and The Brave One (1956), that either were written under an assumed name or (at the time) simply went uncredited. Trumbo and the rest of the "Hollywood 10" screenwriters and directors who, when suspected of being communists, refused to cooperate with the House Un-American Activities Committee by invoking the First Amendment, not the Fifth, as justification. They were subsequently blacklisted by Hollywood studios. Trumbo director Peter Askin weaves insightful commentary from family, friends, film historians, and actors (Donald Sutherland, Dustin Hoffman, and Kirk Douglas make appearances) with vintage footage of the Academy Awardwinning writer, giving us an eloquent portrait of a stubborn but nevertheless admirable man. Although the documentary is ostensibly about the impact the blacklisting had on the screenwriter's life, excerpts from speeches, novels, and letters (read by the likes of Joan Allen, Paul Giamatti, Liam Neeson, David Strathairn, and Michael Douglas) are interspersed throughout the film, showing that Trumbo (who died in 1976 at age 70) had a way of making words dance and that he was deeply invested in everything he wrote.
TRUMBO opens Fri/15 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- center - December 19, 2013
- So the 73% approval that this - December 19, 2013
- I just can't stand it anymore - December 19, 2013
- Well, You Proved Me Correct, But I Guess It's Your Thing - December 19, 2013
- heh - December 19, 2013
- Teachers don't want SFUSD owned affordable housing - December 19, 2013
- You don't know what you're talking about. - December 19, 2013
- "AESOP Institute:" Perpetual Flimflam Machine - December 19, 2013
- "That may be why the BOS was - December 19, 2013
- I did a bit of research on - December 19, 2013