TYSON VOGEL OF TWO GALLANTS
* Hazy Loper (San Francisco)
* Ted The Block (Oakland)
* Michael Hurley (Northwest area)
Two Gallants play at 6:05 p.m., Sat/23, at Outside Lands' Presidio stage, Lindley Meadow.
MICHAEL HILDE OF MOUNTAINHOOD
Locally I'm into David Enos. David is a filmmaker who also played keys in the Papercuts and did the art for their album. His songs are great, haunting, and unflinching.
Nicky Emmert from Mammatus plays solo acoustic as Misty Mountain. The songs are all superlong and unfold in slow motion. Incense [is] in his guitar. We've done a couple of shows together, the first was at the San Siern Holyoake and Wood Festival, May '07.
I also want to especially mention Jonathan Arthur from the All Night Sunshine band in Seattle. He's brilliant, and plays very, very rarely. As far as I know, the only two times have been with me when I go to Seattle. Maybe more. I hope more.
* Brett Dennen. He is so good, and he's just beginning. He has decades of greatness ahead. It is inspiring. His phrasing makes me wish I had soul.
* Bill Foreman. Best songwriter I have known, period. I feel like he moves forward with every song. It is the most natural evolution I have seen. He has so many great ones. His stuff is hard to find, but it's worth every step. The full band version of "St. Louis" will change you.
* John Vanderslice. His songs sound like they were beamed in from Mars. His records are sonic perfection. He doesn't think like a normal person. His lyrics crush me.
* Steve Perry. Not really a singer-songwriter, I guess, but who doesn't wish they had written "Don't Stop Believing" or "Oh Sherrie"? And who doesn't love yellow, sleeveless, zebra-striped T-shirts?
Matt Nathanson plays at 7 p.m., Sat/23, on Outside Lands' Twin Peaks stage, Speedway Meadow.
(1) Thom Moore (Nevada City)
(2) Greg Moore (Nevada City)
(3) Mia Doi Todd (Los Angeles )
(4) Kelley Stoltz (SF)
(5) Brian Glaze (Oakland)
(6) Kacey Johansing (SF)
(7) Jesse DeNatale (SF)
(8) Mark Eitzel (SF)
(9) Miranda Zeiger (SF)
(10) Amy Blaustein (Berkeley)
Davenport plays 9:30 p.m., Sept. 19, Café Du Nord, 2174 Market SF. www.cafedunord.com
KIRA LYNN CAIN
My favorite singer-songwriters (who are not family members):
* Nico, circa Desertshore (Reprise, 1970), The Marble Index (Elektra, 1969), and The End (Island, 1974)
* Syd Barrett, circa The Madcap Laughs (Capitol, 1970) and Barrett (Capitol, 1970)
* Leonard Cohen
"In all honesty, I think SF has been struggling to find a new batch of singer-songwriters to latch onto. I thought Daniella of Snowblink was going to be the next voice of SF, but she just moved to Toronto.
Favorite local singer-songwriters: Peggy Honeywell, Joanna Newsome, and Sean Hayes.
Fave nonlocal singer-songwriters: Diane Cluck, Bon Iver, Tom Waits, Jolie Holland, M. Ward, Matt Bauer, Hayden, and Michael Hurley.
Welllll, Jonathan Richman is nothing new under the sun, but he's been one of my heroes for a long, long time.
Smith plays 7:30 p.m., Aug. 29, at the Make-Out Room, 3225 22nd St., SF. www.makeoutroom.com
My favorite local singer-songwriter: Stephanie Finch (Chuck Prophet's wife and keyboard player). I loved her band Go Go Market and their CD, Hotel San Jose (Evangeline, 2002)!
Other singer-songwriters I love: Kathleen Edwards, Liz Phair, Susanna Hoffs, Dido, Sheryl Crow, Fran Healy, and Josh Ritter.
Most Commented On
- I NEED A RELL SPELL CASTER WHO WILL BRING MY EX BACK CONTACT - April 23, 2014
- AN URGENT CURE TO YOUR HIV/AIDS NOW - April 23, 2014
- i am filled with joy in my heart thank you doctor ogogodu for yo - April 23, 2014
- marriage - April 23, 2014
- thanks to dr Abuko - April 23, 2014
- San Francisco city management - April 23, 2014
- Another, “good look'n out” by - April 23, 2014
- Dead Weight Losses - April 23, 2014
- It's all about the city's - April 23, 2014
- How does it show? - April 23, 2014