So is it true that Chicago legend Ron Carroll has somehow been convinced to do a residency at Temple? Could the man behind a wealth of '90s orchestral house hits be at the vanguard of an SF house regeneration? Whether he'll be a regular or not, his turntable domination on Sept. 13 promises to be a sweet revival meeting for househeds and fans of golden tunes.
Sept. 13. Temple, 540 Howard, SF. www.templesf.com
Dirty Bird Lovefest Pre-Party The enormous and consistently lovely Lovefest (Oct. 4) is no longer the same weekend as the Folsom Street Fair (Sept. 28) farewell, gorgeous sight of hirsute leathermen in bunny ears! and this year it's really pumping its kind-of yawny Dutch trance headliner, Armin Van Buuren. But it's still a primo time for our local lights to shine. If you can't wait for the endearingly handmade floats to parade your favorite Bay beatmakers down Market Street, why not let your freak feathers fly early with SF's current reigning dance label kings, minimal-goofy Dirty Bird Records, including Claude Von Stroke, Justin Martin, Worthy, and the aptly named Hookerz and Blow.
Oct. 3. Mezzanine, 444 Jessie, SF. (415) 625-8880, www.mezzaninesf.com
Frisco Freakout Can we catch a break from all the gadgets, please the Abletonwhatnots and Pro Tools paraphernalia? Fab. The all-ages psychedelic rock dance party Frisco Freakout is a whole day's worth of swirl and twirl at the city's "premiere dive venue" (their words, not mine), Thee Parkside. Unpack your wavy caftan, tie-dye your Converses, and jack the tab with a zillion chiming howlers like the Bad Trips, Wooden Shjips, Crystal Antlers, Earthless, and Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound.
Oct. 11. Parkside, 1600 17th St., SF. (415) 252-1330, www.myspace.com/friscofreakout
Most Commented On
- Robots can't cook the food - December 5, 2013
- Bring on the automated - December 5, 2013
- Hi, Lilli! - December 5, 2013
- Supporting local artists & performances - December 5, 2013
- A local non-profit will chose - December 5, 2013
- Great post! - December 5, 2013
- I completely understand what - December 5, 2013
- $40 or $50 would give them the life to which they feel - December 5, 2013
- The truly appalling reality - December 5, 2013
- I always wait until Boots - December 5, 2013