Music cover-art, illustrations, and books have all found a place in a vision grounded in simple gestures, uncontrived pleasures, and everyday labors.
OctoberNovember. Needles and Pens, 3253 16th St. SF. (415) 255-1534, www.needles-pens.com
•"Outpost" Exploding the imaginary and futuristic dimensions of architecture, "Outpost" collects the apocalyptic planes and jagged rubble of Bay Area sculptor David Hamill and the dazzling grids and Spirograph-esque constructs of New York City artist Jeff Konigsberg.
Sept. 5Oct. 18. Reception Sept. 5. Johansson Projects 2300 Telegraph, Oakl. (510) 999-9140, johanssonprojects.net
•"Hilary Pecis" Folktronica, meet your maker: the SF artist creates her downright psychedelic panoramas by layering drawings with fragments sliced from glossy magazines. Pecis was also recently named as a recipient of the 2008 Murphy and Cadogan Fellowships in the Fine Arts and will be showcased at SF Arts Commission Gallery.
Sept. 6-26. Reception Sept. 6. Receiver Gallery, 1415 Valencia, SF. (415) 550-RCVR, receivergallery.com. Also "Immediate Future: the 2008 Murphy and Cadogan Fellowships in the Fine Arts," Sept. 6-Oct. 18. SFAC Gallery, 401 Van Ness, SF. (415) 554-6080, www.sfacgallery.org
•"Yves Saint Laurent" Viva le smoking! The beloved groundbreaker may be dead, but Yves Saint Laurent has never been hotter, judging from this autumn's many attempts at rich-hippie/gypsy folklorico, highly sexed men's wear for women, and silky Parisian-lady drag. This major retrospective's single US turn showcases more than 120 accessorized ensembles in addition to drawings, photos, and videos.
Nov. 1March 1, 2009. De Young Museum, Golden Gate Park, 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, SF. (415) 750-3600, www.famsf.org/deyoung
JOHNNY RAY HUSTON PICKS
• "I Feel I Am Free But I Know I Am Not" See "Connect four," this issue
Sept. 4Nov. 1. SF Camerawork, 657 Mission, 2nd floor, SF. (415) 512-2020, www.sfcamerawork.org
• "Double Down: Two Visions of Vegas" Olivo Barbieri looks at Vegas as toy town.
Sept. 18Jan. 4, 2009. SFMOMA, 151 Third St., SF. (415) 357-4000, www.sfmoma.org
•"Bayete Ross-Smith: Pomp & Circumstance" and "Jonathan Burstein: Visage" Ross-Smith's prom portraits are fresh, and Burstein's paintings of museum guards trampoline off the humor present in his handsome past portraits of himself.
Sept. 4Oct.11. Patricia Sweetow Gallery, 77 Geary, mezzanine, SF. (415) 788-5126, www.patriciasweetwogallery.com
• "Lutz Bacher: ODO"
Oct. 31Dec.31. Ratio 3, 1447 Stevenson, SF. (415) 821-3371, www.ratio3.org
• Open Studios A step outside the galleries, museums, and art fairs for better, for worse, and for real.
Oct. 11Nov. 2. Various locations, SF. (415) 861-9838, www.artpsan.org
• "Dustin Fosnot: Simmons Beautyrest" Fosnot's comic inventiveness should be a relief.
Oct. 14Nov. 15. Steven Wolf Fine Arts, 49 Geary, suite 411, SF. (415) 263-3677. www.stevenwolffinearts.com
• "LA Paint" A survey of 11 painters, sure to fan a variety of Bay-and-LA flames.
Oct. 4March 8, 2009.
Most Commented On
- Most of the families I know - May 19, 2013
- They love unicorns and Santa Claus too - May 19, 2013
- The difference is perspective... - May 19, 2013
- You're correct, but I sense - May 19, 2013
- Ignoranc - May 19, 2013
- Support for the Ban????? - May 19, 2013
- "you have black and hispanic - May 19, 2013
- Wrong. Renting will be the - May 19, 2013
- That's what makes it a beloved San Francisco event - May 19, 2013
- Two thirds of San Franciscans do not own their homes - May 19, 2013