a short while after we happily started lubing with E, I got a urinary tract infection and have since read numerous lists of suggestions for avoiding UTIs that all seemed to mention specifically using a water-based lubricant. I feel somewhat weird about asking my doctor this question, so I'm turning to you: are "natural" but non-water-based lubes such as vitamin E oil bad for one's inner girly parts, or have I wrongly linked a few coincidental events?
Gimme an E?
You're right that it could be a coincidence, but I'm betting it's not. I don't know what kind of carrier oil was used for the vitamin E, but whatever it is, your vagina probably doesn't know how to get rid of it. I completely agree that water-based lubes are essentially unsatisfactory, but luckily one does not have to reach for weird, random substances off the supplement shelf. What you want is a nice silicone lube, of which there are many. You can get them flavored if that's your scene, but most are taste- and scent-free, non-irritating, non-drying, and so slippery they are actually kind of dangerous and you really want to watch where you prop the bottle between applications. You will love them and you will thank me.
Got a salacious subject you want Andrea to discuss? Ask her a question!
Also, Andrea is teaching! Contact her if you're interested in (sex)life after baby classes. Her new blog is at www.gogetyourjacket.com, but don't look there for the butt sex. There isn't any.
Most Commented On
- Sssh... a movement like this - April 16, 2014
- New students are not enrolling at CCSF because they see it is - April 16, 2014
- The case against CCSF is so compelling that no appeal is - April 16, 2014
- People like Greg always call anyone who disagrees with their - April 16, 2014
- Except that there is not a shred of evidence that the death of - April 16, 2014
- Is there anything SEIU does not have an opinion about? - April 16, 2014
- Cynthia Crews cannot claim to speak for the people - April 16, 2014
- Fat is the new Starving - April 16, 2014
- "By today, it was estimated - April 16, 2014
- We need more diversity - April 16, 2014