Rivanne Neuenschwander's 2003 Eu desejo o seu desejo cleverly plays on wish fulfillment, asking viewers to own up to their desires by taking a ribbon printed with a variety of wishes some altruistic ("I wish for peace"), some selfish ("I wish for an easy death") before leaving a handwritten wish in return.
One of my wishes was granted, if from a distance. The famous ruby slippers or at least a pair that looks like them; the originals being housed in the Smithsonian are indeed there, under glass like some reliquary. Scrawled inside the satin lining, in a slightly sloppy script, are the words "Judy Garland." Suddenly, I'm not in San Francisco anymore.
THE WIZARD OF OZ
Sept. 2Dec. 13
CCA Wattis Institute for Contemporary Arts, Lower Gallery
1111 Eighth St., SF
- aOuGxWYgxmYVGlz - August 20, 2014
- vHDarynxQxksWqdlaTz - August 20, 2014
- Questions raised by staff cutbacks at the Exploratorium - August 20, 2014
- gYeZRaORbakjVvVxM - August 20, 2014
- FGecOKIXjEXdkrJYN - August 20, 2014
- CGANnrMuoQT - August 20, 2014
- fuck the bay guardian - August 20, 2014
- On displacement, journalism, and the Guardian's fake Google- - August 20, 2014
- THIS IS MY TESTIMONY ABOUT THE GOOD WORK OF Dr ATILA - August 20, 2014
- amPnYfkgpovpron - August 19, 2014