PREVIEW First the bad news, straight from the wise-ass, too-literate, poetry-writing punk rocker who once muscled his way through Los Angeles hardcore byways and back: "I think McCain will win," Henry Rollins tells me over the phone in Los Angeles after humping a shipment of his new book, Fanatic! Vol. Three (21361), off the truck and into his offices.
"He's just an awful person." Rollins pauses. "I'm one to talk, but I'm not as awful. I just think America will make the wrong choice again. After all, Democrats never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity and Republicans cheat."
Ah, Rollins a heady gust of hardcore wit 'n' wisdom, the punk progenitor driving the original, alternate-universe straight-talk express. On the eve of a so-called change election, leave it to the exBlack Flag frontman and IFC regular to take a talking tour titled "Recountdown" to gauge the state of the nation. Rollins, no doubt, will hold forth on subjects ranging from Sarah Palin ("Who needs five kids? What are you, working in the fields? Are you selling them for meat?") to his recent documentary-making and travels in Thailand, South Africa, New Orleans, Pakistan, and Burma (of the latter he says, "it was five wacky white guys with expensive cameras trying to pass themselves off as tourists").
So in a world that seems to witness even the most obscure underground combo bellying up to the reunion trough, can we ever expect the still-influential Black Flag to reassemble? The good news: Rollins amiably notes that he wouldn't have much say in the matter since "Black Flag basically belongs to Greg Ginn. But as a hypothetical, I'd pass."
HENRY ROLLINS Fri/19, 8 p.m., $25. Zellerbach Auditorium, UC Berkeley Campus, Bancroft and Telegraph, Berk. (415) 421-8497, www.livenation.com
Most Commented On
- Lilli, at least Greg addresses the revenue need and only - May 20, 2013
- You know "most nudists"? - May 20, 2013
- Nobody objects to nudity in an appropriate place. - May 20, 2013
- Why do you devote so many words to something so trivial? - May 20, 2013
- The birth lottery helps but there are plenty of - May 20, 2013
- The rich pay moderate tax, yet hold phenomenal wealth and power. - May 20, 2013
- Pop goes the myth of meritocracy. - May 20, 2013
- Just so you know . . . . . - May 20, 2013
- How do you measure that "majority"? - May 20, 2013
- stop and frisk - May 20, 2013