Scritti Politti is truly great and I had the opportunity to spend some time on the phone with Green Gartside. We talked about what you'd expect Derrida and Hegel. Although the one time I met Keanu Reeves we talked about Schopenhauer, so you'd be surprised who's smart. If I were to do one of those books, it wouldn't be about Scritti Politti
SFBG [Neneh Cherry's] Raw Like Sushi (Virgin, 1989)?
JC Wow, that'd be great. Since [Prince's] Sign o' the Times (Warner Bros., 1987) has already been done by Michelangelo Matos, I'd try to do Girly Sound, the non-record of demos that Liz Phair made while she was at Oberlin. It circulated as a tape in several different versions. It has some of the songs that later appeared on her first record, Exile in Guyville (Matador, 1993), and other songs that didn't. It can be reassembled. I'm interested in albums that don't quite exist, so another possibility would be ... is the Guns N' Roses album called Chinese Arithmetic?
SFBG It's Chinese Democracy.
JC Chinese Democracy. "Chinese Arithmetic" is an Eric B. and Rakim song. The Guns N' Roses CD which has been in the offing for 15 years I think that would be a fun one to write a book about as well.
LIT CRAWL 2008: THE BEST OF THE BELIEVER
with Joshua Clover, Jessica Fisher, Troy Jollimore, and Melinda Mellis
Sat/11, 8:309:30 p.m.
Latin American Club
3286 22nd St., SF
Most Commented On
- We already do. We just don't - April 16, 2014
- I would support that. - April 16, 2014
- Yes, look. Please. - April 16, 2014
- Living for the moment without - April 16, 2014
- I think marcos is correct - April 16, 2014
- You nailed it. - April 16, 2014
- You nailed it. Faculty gets - April 16, 2014
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014