"Closer to Forever" is exquisite, and "Jetlag" is a slab of montage funk that could make Harold Faltermeyer jealous and even get David Hasselhoff to stop eating burgers off the floor.
If neo-disco and its cosmic substrata are courting a backlash the size of Paul Lekakis' glutes, it's because of an onslaught of opportunistic comps with "space" or "disco" in their titles. Especially when placed in close proximity to one another, those words along with "Balearic" are surefire groan inducers. Yet there are always a few exceptions to the rule. One is Cosmic Disco?! Cosmic Rock!!! (Eskimo), a mix co-created by the man who invented cosmic disco, Italian DJ Daniele Baldelli. While it doesn't approach the euphoria of Baldelli's 2007 Baia degli Angeli mixes, its strictly '80s sources further proof that neo-disco is new romantic include some eccentric pleasures, especially "Ulster Defense," perhaps the world's first and only pro-IRA dancefloor anthem.
Likewise, Alexis Le Tan and Jess' Space Oddities (Permanent Vacation) transcends a generic title through a combo of irreverence and dedication that's as rare as any of the European library grooves it rediscovers. The bloodless boogie of a track titled "Cloning" is hypnotic. Better still is "Black Safari," an electronic answer to Moondog's jungle-sound freakout "Big Cat." If a 1977 disco track can cast its net wide enough to capture Moondog and roaring elephants and growling tigers, then surely a 2008 neo-disco track can find a sense of humor within its vast cosmic or retro-homo space. In fact, that's exactly what 21st century disco will require to escape the hipster equivalent of a stadium bonfire. *
Most Commented On
- Is this really all you have to care about? - March 11, 2014
- OK, so Tiny is a card player. - March 11, 2014
- Yes, it's not fair, these buses are punctual! - March 11, 2014
- I blame the Google shuttles. - March 11, 2014
- "After a week of - March 11, 2014
- I guess that envy and hatred of success trumps caring for the - March 11, 2014
- Hmm, is that code for "looks like a guy"? - March 11, 2014
- What reporter? - March 11, 2014
- Wrong, the word "tranny" is used by transexuals themselves - March 11, 2014
- Don't you know that that's - March 11, 2014