My heart's made of paper and held in place with two staples: I'll always love zines. Recent issues of David Brazil's and Sara Larsen's biweekly roundup Try include Dana Ward's languorous thoughts on feeling and some playful lyricism courtesy of Julian Brolaski (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.). Runx Tales #1 is a collection of comics by Matt Runkle (email@example.com). Lots to enjoy: an exploration of why straight marriages are so gay; a well-spun tale about a town named Coeur d'Alene; nicely-rendered portraits of recent romantic obsessions; an account of dancing to ABBA on a gay pride float; and a memory of a wet, hot American summer. Runkle has Lynda Barry's ability to capture a personality in one panel, and he draws himself to look a little like Jiminy Cricket.
Speaking of thumb-size icons, Mr. Peanut is back on the scene and looking debonair in an ad (for a show by Haim Steinbach) within the new Artforum. The same issue brings the disquieting news, also via advertisement, that Mr. Pharrell Williams has a show in a Parisian gallery. Bleh, I'd rather dream of buying a brand-new New York Post needlepoint pillow by under-sung and influential OCD artist Brigid Berlin.
Madonna and Guy's divorce rules the glossy tabloids. "Tears, Lies, and Money," declares the front of OK!, while Us Weekly opts for a similar-but-different yellow-hued trilogy of ingredients: "Lies, Cheating, and Abuse." Esquire declares Halle Berry "the Sexiest Woman Alive," while L' Uomo Vogue presents Tilda Swinton, looking more handsome than she's managed on any recent red carpets. James Franco is kissable as ever on Man About Town, while Q touts its new design alongside a photo of world's-oldest-schoolboy Angus Young.
Last, fate decreed that the 700th issue of Fate: True Reports of the Strange and Unknown complete with a contents-inspired cover illustration of an alien, a wolf, a droid, Sasquatch, and Jesus in front of a pyramid arrives in the mail today. Eerie!
Most Commented On
- Not sure my message worked: - July 12, 2014
- Not a SNF. Try St Anne's - July 12, 2014
- Re: why not a nursing home in the city? - July 12, 2014
- Ride-"sharing" is a fake - July 12, 2014
- Magnetic, Dynamic, Fully Present, Approachable - July 12, 2014
- Agreed - and public transit and its improvement is vital - July 12, 2014
- Just be more "discriminating" when renting. - July 12, 2014
- Guardian endorsements - July 12, 2014
- how i got my boyfriend back - July 12, 2014
- That's not the point. The - July 12, 2014