The Milk Issue: St. Harvey inflames, but does he inspire?
Both those shows were beautiful — and helped keep Harvey's story in play. Milk, however hagiographic, will probably do the same. That's great, and if it inspires the community to finally fund the Historical Society enough to establish a queer history museum here — a sickening absence in San Francisco, of all places — we may be able to at last live and learn from the past rather than just light a candle to it.
For most queers now, though, the thought of Harvey Milk brings only grave tears and intimations of tragedy. Maybe the current emergency will finally break the glass around St. Harvey and inspire us to take the practical examples he left us seriously.
Most Commented On
- You're lucky Ed Lee is even willing to talk to you given that - March 11, 2014
- She's not bad actually - March 11, 2014
- The conclusion is obvious - the people don't care. - March 11, 2014
- "Comrades!! Out of the buses and into your cars!!" - March 11, 2014
- okay tr*nny is a slur by the - March 11, 2014
- Bottled water ban - March 11, 2014
- Objecting to people taking a bus to work is not really a - March 11, 2014
- I wanna guess that "Tiny" weighs three hundred pounds. - March 11, 2014
- Any half-decent report would explain WHY this guy is being - March 11, 2014
- You would be delayed for far longer by all the extra cars there - March 11, 2014