Whiskey In The Jar



Dear Andrea:

When my boyfriend has been drinking, sometimes he can't ejaculate. He says he can still come and all his other physical responses back this up. But he still has an erection after this happens. Is he telling the truth, or maybe just trying to make me feel better when I sometimes don't make him come?



Dear Which:

Lack of erection, delayed orgasm, and delayed ejaculation (not always the same thing, as your question demonstrates) and extremely delayed orgasm and ejaculation (like several days hence) are common side-effects of excessive drinking. Orgasm without ejaculation is usually something prostate-related, causing retrograde (backward) ejaculation, or some sort of nerve damage, or or or ... but none of those would create occasional, post-partying lack of ejaculate.

I think there's a good chance that he is fudging, a.k.a. faking it, but in the benign manner in which a usually-orgasmic woman might fake it, a little, when it did feel pretty good but she's tired and knows you are too and is graciously offering an out. Is that so wrong?

Sometimes a guy doesn't come. Very rarely is it his partner's fault and caused by sudden-onset lack of hotness syndrome. If extra stimulation (adding in a mouth or a hand) doesn't do it, try cheerfully offering to quit and see if he stops claiming to have come. You can't "make" someone come (unless he's a bull and you're a vet wielding an electro-stimulus device). You can only help. Sometimes there's just no helping someone.



Dear Andréa: I have a drinking problem that wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't seemingly getting in the way of my sex life. On the other hand, I think it would be reasonable for someone to hear all the details and say that the drinking isn't the only issue. I think I'm going to go look into "whiskey dick" and see if the Internet can guide me. Failing that, whom do I turn to? I had a shrink when I was little, but I really didn't think much of it. I believe I'd like to sit across from someone in a nonjudgmental setting and see if they can sort this shit out for me. Any recommendations?


Drinking Man

Dear Man:

Judging by the somewhat convoluted quality of your opening paragraph, I think you probably already know that "drinking is causing my problem/problem is causing my drinking" is a chicken/egg problem, and not one I'm in a position to solve for you. Since it is a chicken and egg problem, though, I'd venture to say that it both cannot be solved and shouldn't be solved. In other words, who cares? You have at least three things going on: whatever originally brought you to drinking too much; drinking too much; and the sexual (and quite likely other) sequelae from drinking too much. Go get help!

A therapist one is dragged to as a little boy, for reasons unclear to one at the time and since further fuzzy-fied by time's crappy Xerox machine, is not to be taken as the model for what a therapist can be or can do for you. You are a grown-up, you're beating up your body, and you can't get a hard-on. Get help! Get some names through the local Association of Marriage and Family Therapists or a similar referral resource (I know a ton of therapists but it's kind of uncool to plug them in the column). Call three or four and book someone for an intro session or phone consult, and don't hire anyone you don't think you'll want to talk to.

That would be that, but I'm a little concerned by what you mean by "whiskey dick." Everyone who drinks will encounter alcohol's well-known "the spirit is willing, but ..." effects from time to time.

Also from this author

  • Sexual evolution

    alt.sex.column says so long -- and thanks for all the fish

  • Obstructions abound

  • alt.sex.column: Not the gerbil!