City Attorney Dennis Herrera never wanted to go to court to enforce the Raker Act, the federal law requiring San Francisco to operate a public power system, but that's an area the board can push. David Campos, the apparent supervisor-elect in District 9, is a lawyer who has worked in the city attorney's office and sued PG&E, so this is an area where he can show leadership.
The bottom line is that this battle isn't over.
There were other disappointments on what was generally a progressive ballot. Proposition V the phony measure calling on the school board to reinstate JROTC passed, narrowly. It was mostly a wedge issue to hurt progressive candidates for supervisor, and has been a horribly divisive issue in the schools. The school board, which cut off JROTC last year, is now pushing for an excellent public service alternative and doesn't need to go back and reexamine the issue. JROTC is a terrible idea for San Francisco, and the newly elected board members shouldn't even bring this up again.
Of course we were deeply unhappy about the passage of Prop. 8. The repeal of same-sex marriage was such a blow to San Francisco that it dampened a lot of the enthusiasm over the Obama victory. But that one's not over, either; it has just begun. Statistics show that voters under 30 overwhelmingly support same-sex marriage and if the campaign is run differently, and the message is positive, it's likely that Prop. 8 can be overturned. Marriage equality advocates should think seriously about preparing now for a major campaign in November 2010 to restore equal rights for same-sex couples in California.
Most Commented On
- Good riddance to the 50 year - July 30, 2014
- Have we learned nothing from the past? - July 30, 2014
- This is what happens when a - July 30, 2014
- Only the naive believe that the art of politics isn't about - July 30, 2014
- No, because squattors cannot have those rights by definition - July 30, 2014
- Airbnb makes small admission on tax issue, saying its hosts - July 30, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 30, 2014
- Marcos, I will also reject the November cash call for Muni - July 30, 2014
- But Lee decided to make his - July 30, 2014
- But you're arguing that - July 30, 2014