But the sausage was not only garlicky and peppery but greasy; it left little pools of orange everywhere, like chorizo in a queso fundido, which made me feel that it was half-time at a college football game somewhere.
No pizza is complete without a salad, and Good Pizza offers one, and only one: the good salad ($8 for the large version, with an herbed flatbread). The salad is basically a Greek salad without feta cheese; its players include tomato and red bell pepper slices, chunks of cucumber, kalamata olives, and artichoke hearts, all bathed in a memorable lemon-oregano vinaigrette.
No pizzeria experience is complete without some beer or wine. You could enjoy a Moretti ($4.50) with your pie Italian beer is underrated but a livelier choice might be a glass of red or white wine ($5.75) from Más Wine Company in Cloverdale. In a small irony, the beers (there's also Coors Light) come in bottles, while the wines by the glass are on tap. The Más 2006-vintage vino was an impressive proprietary blend of syrah and cabernet (with a dash of petite sirah) that tasted strongly of cherries and was indeed, as the winery's Web site promises, "food friendly" and "approachable."
Given the ovens that must be the center of any pizzeria's kitchen, it isn't surprising that Good Pizza's shiny display cases are full of baked goods, including scones, muffins, and cookies wonderfully intense lemon-sugar cookies for just 90 cents. Not bad. (The baked goods aren't actually baked onsite but come from Pacific Baking Company.) The scones and muffins also clue us in that Good Pizza, like many another hotel restaurant, does a smart morning business. Who wouldn't love the smell of breakfast calzones in the morning, with the sun breaking over the corner of Seventh and Mission and a fresh newspaper to read?
Mon.Fri., 7 a.m.3 p.m., 510 p.m.; Sat.Sun., 8 a.m.10 p.m.
112 Seventh St., SF
Beer and wine
Most Commented On
- It's classic racecard playing - March 8, 2014
- No Marcos you are mixing up - March 8, 2014
- No harm, no foul works for - March 8, 2014
- Have any progressive politicians called the Bologna family? - March 8, 2014
- VRBO and HomeAway, to whom - March 8, 2014
- marcos clearly supports drivers not obeying any law that - March 8, 2014
- UBER is doing what the CITY does ... ask Herrera - March 8, 2014
- Commitment matters - March 8, 2014
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014