And, of course, it's ironic that the utility would take this step just after it spent $10 million to defeat a local public-power measure (which would have lowered electric rates and helped both small and large businesses, as well as consumers).
The supervisors ought to pass a resolution opposing the plan and City Attorney Dennis Herrera should file a formal statement of opposition on behalf of the city.
In another front on another battleground, state assemblymember Tom Ammiano and state senator Mark Leno are introducing a joint resolution that would put the Legislature on record as supporting the legal challenge to the same-sex marriage ban, Proposition 8, and as raising concerns that the measure violates the equal protection and separation of powers safeguarded in the state constitution (see "Tyranny of the majority," 11/26/08).
Leno told us that the intent isn't to put pressure on the California Supreme Court, which will begin considering the case in January, but to make clear the Legislature's intent that substantial changes to the constitution such as this should go through the more cumbersome revision process.
Joining Leno and Ammiano in sponsoring the bill are Assembly Speaker Karen Bass and Assemblymember John Perez, and state senate president Darrell Steinberg and state senator Christine Kehoe. Leno said he expects others to sign on as well. It's a solid idea, and the Legislature should approve it.
Most Commented On
- I'm a little surprised to see - December 8, 2013
- We will not rest until every - December 8, 2013
- I disagree. Noise issues between any pair of neighbors is - December 8, 2013
- Over-paying workers only happens where the government - December 8, 2013
- Is this the "war on phones"? Curious. - December 8, 2013
- "Troll" is a word used here to describe anyone who holds a - December 8, 2013
- Almost everyone here is male. - December 8, 2013
- San Franciscans evidently love self-righteous, santimonious - December 8, 2013
- Mmm, yummy, quinoa with tofu. - December 8, 2013
- Spanky new SUV - December 8, 2013