PREVIEW The Bay Area is no stranger to outdoor projection: the past few years alone have brought Melinda Stone and Liz Keim's "A Trip Down Market Street" program; a series of "Illuminated Corridor" get-togethers in Oakland; and of course, numerous installments of Film Night in the Park. But Michael Damm's "incidental films for an accidental audience" is something new a more ephemeral, relatively (in the artist's words) "unannounced" projection event taking place in various transit spaces or zones. "I'm interested in the anonymity of people seeing [the projections] in passing," Damm explains, during a recent phone conversation. "It presents a different way of thinking about how people see things. A glimpse can be an interstice a glimpse in passing can leave a question hanging."
Though "incidental films" is an extension of an ongoing project with Portland, Ore., curator Stephanie Snyder, Damm happened upon the idea of projections shortly after moving from SF to the East Bay. "Oakland is a lot more about driving, and about the freeway," he says. "I became curious about those transit corridors." Damm found himself drawing ideas from the German architect and urban planning theorist Thomas Sieverts, in particular Sieverts' idea of the Zwischenstadt, or "in-between city." Though Damm is guarded about the specific visuals he's projecting, expect to see views of life-in-motion as you speed past his sights or sites.
INCIDENTAL FILMS FOR AN ACCIDENTAL AUDIENCE Through Dec. 21. Evening commute hours. In Oakland: viewable from the westbound platform of the West Oakland BART Station, and from passing trains northwest of the station. In San Francisco: viewable on Folsom (between 15th and 16th streets) and intermittently on the 80, 880, and 101 freeway corridors.
Most Commented On
- There She Goes Again" to - December 12, 2013
- Drive jacket - December 12, 2013
- Study Medicine (MBBS/ MD/ MS) in India/ Overseas - December 12, 2013
- Why isn't the Department of - December 11, 2013
- "I'm getting tired of trying - December 11, 2013
- Oh there you go again off the - December 11, 2013
- "The internet allows every - December 11, 2013
- Think he means the evergreen - December 11, 2013
- What is "Penthouse Letters?" - December 11, 2013
- Ludicrous! Many "living - December 11, 2013