Nobody's acting very mature here, so she could just as well have titled her piece (actually called "Love in the Time of Darwinism") "She Started It!"
Women, say the young men, want it all and switch the rules on you without warning. They want equality except when they don't, and then you're in trouble for not bringing roses. Plus, they're attracted to jerks, they sneer at nice guys, and then they blame you for acting like a prick.
This state of affairs, the shifting rules and roles, may have brought us to this point, writes Hymowitz (and others), where the gulf between male and female mores and modes of expression is wider than it has been since before World War I, and a certain amount of aggression, contempt, and rude gamesmanship (see both The Rules and Rules of the Game ) is both expected and to some extent accepted. I leave it to Hymowitz to troll the gamier recesses of the Web for sites like AlphaSeduction and Eternal Bachelor ("Give modern women the husband they deserve. None."), but you shouldn't be too surprised to hear that this stuff is out there.
Are these dispatches from the new war correspondents accurate? Somewhat. As much as can be expected from lifestyle journalism, anyway, which by definition requires a phenomenon, the more disturbing the better (would you read weekly articles in The New York Times titled "All Well in Pleasantville?"). Is this state of affairs universal? Certainly not. Is it inevitable? I think not. What's that everyone's been saying about hope and change?
Got a salacious subject you want Andrea to discuss? Ask her a question!
Most Commented On
- YES - April 17, 2014
- Great comment. Erin! - April 17, 2014
- iRTbxaAgNwj - April 17, 2014
- The real numbers - April 17, 2014
- QTghuaOydKScOznS - April 17, 2014
- Can we get a PLAN that would account for WHY it got THIS way? - April 17, 2014
- ktZsBggaecnA - April 17, 2014
- NxPnOIoODTaKUeSUdi - April 17, 2014
- I hope you see my testimonies and also pray for my family too - April 17, 2014
- he's very nice and great a spell caster here is email. obasispel - April 17, 2014