PREVIEW 'Tis the season for Bay Area art to slow to a near standstill. Many galleries are closed through 2008. Those still open tend to favor group shows that double as holiday sales a tough proposition this year. Mission 17 is bucking the trend with "Dream On!," a juried exhibition put together by director-curator Clark Buckner and three others. The show's dream theme is a mighty wide one. It allows for photographic work by Jessica Rosen (showcased in the Guardian's annual August photo issue) and Jason Hanasik, whose verdant Steven in a bed of flowers displays a light touch while grazing up against potentially unsubtle topics such as homoeroticism, militarism, and Andrew Wyethlike Americana combinations of human and landscape portraiture. (Hanasik is fond of depicting figures in repose.) Mission 17 sneaks some playful and thoughtful art into the city Ryan Alexiev's summer solo effort, "The Land of a Million Cereals," was one of 2008's most enjoyable shows. This group collection, 20 artists strong, holds promise.
DREAM ON! Through Jan. 31, 2009. Wed.Sat., 16 p.m., or by appointment. Mission 17, 2111 Mission, SF. (415) 861-3144, www.mission17.org>.
Most Commented On
- How are you supposed to adapt - May 22, 2013
- I see nothing wrong with - May 22, 2013
- JW, you might want to take a step back. - May 22, 2013
- no, no. you're repulsive AND - May 22, 2013
- Jonny = ex scab labor - May 22, 2013
- Ladies and Gentleman, fascism - May 22, 2013
- OMG, you mean that the police sometimes have to use force to - May 22, 2013
- No Hysteria - May 22, 2013
- asking this question makes him a bigot? - May 22, 2013
- can't have your gluten-free - May 22, 2013