PREVIEW Choreographer-dancer Erika Tsimbrovsky and visual artistperformer Vadim Puyandaev may be new to the Bay Area, but they are old hands in the theater. Having more than a decade of what they describe as "audio-visual-kinetic" performance under their belts, mostly in Eastern Europe and Israel, they have also developed a fine nose for ferreting out good collaborators. For their new Scrap-Soup, they have enlisted some top Bay Area artists: musicians Sean Felt and Albert Mathias and, among others, dancers Suzanne Lappas, Kira Kirsch, and Andrew Ward.
The primary impetus that drives Tsimbrovsky and Puyandaev's work is an interest in exploring through improvisational structures different media and their relationships to one another. The Garden (2007), their first work in this country, looked at how gestures musical, visual, and kinetic can reignite half-forgotten memories. For Scrap they went through records of how information has been visually transmitted historically, via medieval manuscripts, hieroglyphs, and Japanese scrolls, and in contemporary mass communication, by way of billboards and computer screens. They want to know whether the preservation of content has been changed by today's technology, and if so, how? Those are big theoretical questions, but the artists involved all of them experienced improvisers are hands-on, dig-into-the-material kinds of collaborators. Scrap's format will take the shape of a constantly shifting installation for which Tsimbrovsky and Puyandaev set the parameters, but within which the performers are on their own to hopefully bounce off one another.
SCRAP-SOUP Fri/19Sat/20, 8 p.m., $15$20. Project Theater Artaud, 450 Florida, SF. (415) 863-9834, www.artaud.org/theater
Most Commented On
- Tale of two parties: Was the 8 Washington defeat a referendum - April 20, 2014
- Don't be a Glasshole - April 20, 2014
- Fast bills - April 19, 2014
- oOmHLcSCPSbnNiFq - April 19, 2014
- cEBpuLEIoWvA - April 19, 2014
- Guardian honored for investigation of buying influence at City - April 19, 2014
- BEST SPELL CASTER - April 19, 2014
- A radical proposal: Squat Airbnb hosts' homes to create - April 19, 2014
- drabiza helped me - April 19, 2014
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014