For more top 10s, see our Year in Music 2008 issue.
JONAS REINHARDT'S TOP 10
1. Droids, Star Peace (Repressed)
2. Steve Moore, Vaalbara (Noiseville)
3. La Düsseldorf, La Düsseldorf (Nova, Water)
4. Cluster US tour
6. White Rainbow, "Snake Snacks Brain Tazer Pt2"
7. Richard Pinhas, Singles Collection 19721980 (Captain Trip)
8. 88 Boadrum, Aug. 8, '08
9. Methusalem, Journey into the Unknown (Ariola)
10. B.O.D.Y.H.E.A.T. light show, Nov. 7
MI AMI'S DANIEL MARTIN-MCCORMICK AND DAMON PALERMO'S COMBINED TOP 10
*Grouper, Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill (Type)
*US Girls, Introducing (Siltbreeze)
*Sugar Minott, Dancehall Showcase Vol. II (Black Roots/Wackies)
*Fripp and Eno, No Pussyfooting (EG)
*Steel an' Skin, Reggae Is Here Once Again (Em)
*Dam-Funk, "Burgundy City" (Stones Throw)
*Pyha, The Haunted House (Tumult)
*Orchestre Régional De Kayes, The Best of the First Biennale of Arts
and Culture for the Young (Mississippi)
*Various artists, Blackdisco (Blackdisco)
BOMB HIP-HOP'S DAVID PAUL'S TOP 10
1. Grip Grand, Brokelore (Look)
2. Sweatshop Union show at Rickshaw Stop, Sept. 25
3. DJ Zeph and Azeem, On the Rocks mix CD
4. Planet B-Boy DVD (Arts Alliance America)
5. Prince vs. Michael show, Madrone Lounge, Nov. 15
6. Large Professor, Main Source (Gold Dust Media)
7. DJ Agent 86, "The Ultimate" 7-inch (Bomb Hip-Hop)
8. EMC, The Show (M3)
9. DJ Design with Party Arty, "Get on the Floor" single (Look)
10. History of Rap poster
TARTUFI'S TOP 10 OF '08
*Paper Airplanes, Scandal Scandal Scandal Down in the Wheat Field (self-released)
One of the best albums we have heard in years. Wins Most Mind-Twisting Listen award from Tartufi, which just so happens to be a hairless alpaca.
*Department of Eagles, In Ear Park (4AD)
A lush and weighty release. Wins Best Overall Production award, which just so happens to be a medium-sized bologna.
*Low Red Land, Dog's Hymns (self-released)
Man, this album is just so freaking good. It is like a chocolate river of dreams wrapped in bacon and covered in Tony Alva. They win Album Most Likely to be Sung at Top of Lungs No Matter Who Is Around award, which just so happens to be Tony Alva wrapped in bacon.
*Deerhoof, Offend Maggie (Kill Rock Stars)
Awesomely awesome and both classically deery and innovatively hoofy. Wins the award for Longevity, Perseverance, Persistence, Reliability, and Most Rockin'-est, which just so happens to be a completely un-offended Maggie, fresh and new!
*Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop)
Didn't want to like this after seeing it more times that we have ever seen anything before, at every Starbucks in the whole universe. Then we took a listen, and it is actually quite good. Wins the Your Albums Will Forever Be in Starbucks (a Blessing and a Curse) award, which just so happens to be a Slip 'N Slide.
*Musee Mecanique, Hold This Ghost (Frog Stand)
These guys rule live. Wins the Classiest Band in All the Land award, which just so happens to be the option to plate a member of the band in gold.
*Russian Circles, Station (Suicide Squeeze)
A rad album with just the right amount of chunk, noise, pretty, psych, and space. Wins the Most Dreamiest Drummer Ever award, which just so happens to be a date with Lynne!? Weird.
*Beach House, Devotion (Carpark)
Admittedly, this album was purchased based upon the cover art alone, but imagine the surprise and blissed-out happiness upon hearing the actual music!