Wins the Smoothest Vocals and Best Use of a Drum Machine award, which just so happens to be a tall ship towing a peanut.
*Radiohead, In Rainbows (ATO)
We listened to this a lot while on tour. Like, a lot. Wins the Smarty Pants award and the Duhhhh award, which just so happens to be invisibility cloaks for the whole band. You guys are welcome. We know what it's like. We are pretty famous, too.
*Vetiver, Thing of the Past (Gnomonsong)
Andy's voice makes me so happy and his musical choices make me even happier. Wins Best Use of Hats, Beards, and Boots award, which just so happens to be the lemon tree from the back patio at El Rio! You guys sing a cover, and I will sneaky sneak it out the front.
SORCERER'S DANIEL JUDD'S TOP 10
1. Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (Sony BMG/Columbia)
Heard this while I was record shopping in Chicago. Thought it was a Motown record I had never heard before. Great songs, production, and the singing is excellent.
2. Menahan Street Band, Make the Road by Walking (Daptone)
On Election Day we grabbed fish tacos on Ritch Street and there was a DJ wearing a George Bush mask who was spinning this record on the turntables set up on the sidewalk. The sun was shining, and Obama was about to win a dawning of a new day.
3. Various artists, Pop Ambient 2008 (Kompakt)
This year's collection might be my overall favorite.
4. Zo! and Tigallo, Love the 80's! (Chapter 3hree)
Nice modern R&B versions of the most random '80s jams. Good for throwing in a mix with the catchy Usher, T-Pain, and R. Kelly jams I also dug on this year.
5. Woolfy at the Elbo Room
A great show from Woolfy at B.O.D.Y.H.E.A.T.'s monthly night. A full band rocking great, slow-burning dance jams.
6. Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell (Matt Wolf, US) at the Roxy.
Loved the unreleased music and the glimpses of his creative process.
7. Boom Clap Bachelors, Kort Før Dine Læber (Music for Dreams)
Crazy futuristic electro-soul. One of the dudes is from Owusu and Hannibal, another cool group in this realm.
8. Various artists, Watch How the People Dancing: Unity Sounds from the London Dancehall, 19861989 (Honest Jon's)
Been loving the Casio-fueled insanity, the craziest voices from the singers.
9. Various artists, Funky Nassau: The Compass Point Story 19801986 (Strut)
The tropical boogie/reggae vibes flow so nicely from this cast of jammers.
10. Hatchback, Colors of the Sun (Lo)
Arpeggios and creamy chord changes.
THE HARBOURS' MIGUEL ZELAYA'S TOP 10 2008 RELEASES
1. Two Sheds, untitled EP (iTunes)
2. Kelley Stoltz, Circular Sounds (Sub Pop)
3. Uni and the Dig! String Trio, As Gold (self-released)
4. Pillars of Silence, Pillars of Silence (self-released)
5. Michael Zapruder, Dragon Chinese Cocktail Horoscope (SideCho)
6. Land of Talk, Some Are Lakes (Saddle Creek)
7. Radiohead, In Rainbows (ATO)
8. Hayden, In Field and Town (Fat Possum)
9. +/-, Xs on Your Eyes (Absolutely Kosher)
10. The Beach Boys, U.S. Singles: Capitol Years '6265 (EMI)
KELLEY STOLTZ'S TOP 10 AND MORE
*Borts Minorts on earth and in concert
A white body suit, a musical instrument made of a ski and bass string, and beautiful dancing gals. Fun SF weirdness without the Burning Man remorse.
*Thee Oh Sees live and The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In (Tomlab)
Really, how many awesome tunes can a human being write?
*The Fresh and Onlys
What a fine group so fine I started a label, Chuffed, to put out their first single.
Most Commented On
- drabiza helped me - April 19, 2014
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - April 19, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME WITH MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 19, 2014
- And you can't get past your - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- We as in who the hell u think - April 19, 2014
- N who r u Really?? - April 19, 2014
- What political BS who gives a - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014