Hank IV, Refuge in Genre (Siltbreeze) They've made SF home to Earth's greatest punk band once again.
2. Nothing People, Anonymous (S-S) They only play great shows, release great records, etc.
3. The Hospitals, Hairdryer Peace (Stonehouse) Ear-splitter of the year, without question.
4. Buzzer, Disco Kiddz EP (Douche Master) Glam, proto, pub it's all here.
5. Nobunny, Love Visions (Bubbledumb) Punk parody is always a winning concept.
6. Colossal Yes, Charlemagne's Big Thaw (Ba Da Bing) Piano pop-psych crafted in a totally winning fashion.
7. Wounded Lion, "Pony People" 7-inch (S-S) Pop that is both brainy and fun.
8. Mayyors, both 7-inches (self-released) Mayyors wow with sheer force of volume.
9. Scarecrow and the Shuckers at the Stork Club
10. Thee Oh Sees, The Hounds of Foggy Notion CD/DVD (Castle Face) I'll take this over their recent hit LP.
PRESSURE TO PERFORM: A FEW MORE NYE OPTIONS
The Bay Area original makes the leap from his longtime NYE venue at the Fillmore. With Zappa Plays Zappa and Tim Fite. Wed/31, 8 p.m., $69<\d>$126. War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness, SF. www.goldenvoice.com
BORTS MINORTS AND THIS BIKE IS A PIPE BOMB
NYE Hemlock reg This Bike is joined by the SF troupe Kelley Stoltz describes as "fun SF weirdness without the Burning Man remorse." Wed/31, 9 p.m., $10. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. www.hemlocktavern.com
Most definitely "Sneakers Required" with DJs like Apollo and Sake One. Wed/31, 9 p.m., call for price. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, 701 Mission, SF. (415) 978-2787.
LAUGHTER AGAINST THE MACHINE
Funny fellahs W. Kamau Bell, Bucky Sinister, and Nato Green issue their response to all the 'WHOOOOOOHOOOOO!' that typically goes down on NYE. Wed/31, 7:30 and 10 p.m., $30 (friendofkamau discount code for $10 off). Phoenix Theatre, 414 Mason, SF. www.brownpapertickets.com/event/50525