Verna's condition illustrates the ease with which one can slip between the cracks in today's United States Bush's rhetoric about the "ownership" society is meaningless to the individuals and entire communities who feel disowned by their country.
And yet, desolation offers its own illumination: "Overhead, the lights seemed to flutter, and for a moment she worried the whole world might disappear. But in fact nothing happened; the world remained as it was. There was no thunder. No lightning." We can read either hope or despair into these lines, but it would be folly to think the two are more than a few inches (or votes) apart.
Most Commented On
- Vegan lesbian heirloom mushroom collective? Tee hee. - March 13, 2014
- Only an idiot who knows - March 13, 2014
- "Alt?" - March 13, 2014
- No, the city doesn't give any money to corporations. - March 13, 2014
- When is Mar termed out? - March 13, 2014
- March On City Hall! - March 13, 2014
- Another legislative initiative courtesy of Eric Mar's daughter - March 13, 2014
- My guess is that he just likes regressive taxes - March 13, 2014
- Why stop at soda? Shouldn't - March 13, 2014
- It's not about being poor. It's about being stupid. - March 13, 2014