Verna's condition illustrates the ease with which one can slip between the cracks in today's United States Bush's rhetoric about the "ownership" society is meaningless to the individuals and entire communities who feel disowned by their country.
And yet, desolation offers its own illumination: "Overhead, the lights seemed to flutter, and for a moment she worried the whole world might disappear. But in fact nothing happened; the world remained as it was. There was no thunder. No lightning." We can read either hope or despair into these lines, but it would be folly to think the two are more than a few inches (or votes) apart.
Most Commented On
- ??? - May 22, 2013
- Yes, either rent control should be means tested or it - May 22, 2013
- The law already forbids them - May 22, 2013
- Which is perfectly legal. - May 22, 2013
- LOL, you can buy a house in Detroit for a dollar. - May 22, 2013
- That's right, he is in his late forties, has lived in that unit - May 22, 2013
- Rent control does not skew - May 22, 2013
- The point with SF is it's supposed (but over-rated) "diversity". - May 22, 2013
- Means Test - May 22, 2013
- I suspect that we cannot "agree" on that since the vast majority - May 22, 2013